The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ludwigia not growing quickly and losing leaves

My ludwigia palustris doesn't seem to be growing very quickly, still grows just not as fast as it used to or should be, and it seems to lose lots of leaves due to some brown dust covering the older leaves. They don't seem to be producing very many roots. Could this be due to some deficiency or not enough co2? The lighting should be good, I have a quad 30" T5HO 6500k on my 36 gal bow front. All my other plants are fine, crypts, Val's, Java Moss. Everything is good except for the ludwigia. The stock is 8 corydoras and 6 rummynose tetras and 1 otocinclus. I dose flourish comprehensive every 5 days, and weekly water changes

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
You probably have high light, but that depends on which specific 4 bulb T5HO light you are using. If you have high light, or even medium light, you need to be dosing a lot more than Flourish Comprehensive. That Flourish product is a trace element mix, containing only token amounts of nitrate, phosphate and potassium, all of which are essential nutrients. See http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/11-fertilizers-water-parameters/21944-_dosing-regimes_.html for more information.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've never had plants melt on me from using excel, and I have jungle and Italian val's in the same tank which are notorious for melting from excel. I find that as long as you don't follow the first step on the bottle, which is to dose 5 times the daily amount on the first dose, you won't have any issues even with excel sensitive plants. I am also trying to find out whether I should buy a diy co2 setup, since this is only a small 36 gal bow front. Do you think diy co2 (baking soda and citric acid) would be a good investment for a small tank like mine?

Most of my frustration is with this brown dust stuff and some green algae

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.