The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my Cuba melted from the middle of the stem and break apart from there, it looks like that part of the stem turn brown and just fall apart from there, water parameter are KH 1, GH 7-8. running 2x54w t5ho at 26" away from substrate, pressurized co2 and 4dkh drop checker, also dosing EI.

any reason for this plant to melt in such a way.
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...details.php?id=81&category=lighting&spec=High

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have stems that do that from time to time. I just trim out the section, and replant. The lower portion I trim off and get some side shoots.
thanks Noahma, first i thought it was the water temp, but most plants seems to be happy with the 82F temp, so far UG melted due to high temp.

pantanal seems to be growing well but not until i cut the stem, i have heard this plant can cause some problem during trimming, the stem was 21" long and i cut it about 10" from the top and the older stem seems to be not getting any shoot out of it, one of the stem is just hanging in there for several weeks.

back to my main question,
The lower portion I trim off and get some side shoots.
you mean you just cut an inch or so from the top where ever the area normally looks brown/dark color after the plant has fallen apart from that area.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
thanks Noahma, first i thought it was the water temp, but most plants seems to be happy with the 82F temp, so far UG melted due to high temp.

pantanal seems to be growing well but not until i cut the stem, i have heard this plant can cause some problem during trimming, the stem was 21" long and i cut it about 10" from the top and the older stem seems to be not getting any shoot out of it, one of the stem is just hanging in there for several weeks.

back to my main question,

you mean you just cut an inch or so from the top where ever the area normally looks brown/dark color after the plant has fallen apart from that area.
Yea, i just trim at the mid point of the node below where the melting was happening. I have a couple species of ludwigia that this happens to. i have not had it happen specifically with my cuba, but repens and tiger I have had it happen to.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea, i just trim at the mid point of the node below where the melting was happening. I have a couple species of ludwigia that this happens to. i have not had it happen specifically with my cuba, but repens and tiger I have had it happen to.

what is your water temp at? i wonder if someone here knows the exact answer to this problem. am going to do big water change and going to cut off Ca dosing to see if it has anything to do with the GH being raised suddenly, which i dose during water change. i will be still dosing some Mg to help plant and fish. i use 100% RO/DI water and keeping discus fish.

Do you have any larger fish that could have damaged it there?
yes i have discus, but never seen them harming any plant in any way.

possible disease? i had some rotala mysteriously turn black and gooey in the middle of the stem.. cut and removed and plant is fine now
hmmm, sound like what is happening to my cuba, i hope i don't loose this plant, i have increased the co2 and lower the light to see if it has anything to do with that.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
what is your water temp at? i wonder if someone here knows the exact answer to this problem. am going to do big water change and going to cut off Ca dosing to see if it has anything to do with the GH being raised suddenly, which i dose during water change. i will be still dosing some Mg to help plant and fish. i use 100% RO/DI water and keeping discus fish.

yes i have discus, but never seen them harming any plant in any way.

hmmm, sound like what is happening to my cuba, i hope i don't loose this plant, i have increased the co2 and lower the light to see if it has anything to do with that.
My temp is at 79* KH and GH are 4 and 6, I am using EI dosing. I have dual T5ho with an ok reflector, getting about 40 par at the substrate which is Activ-flora (think Eco-complete) running pressurized co2 up to 40~ppm moderate flow in the tank.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Same thing happened to me on one or two stems of ludwigia. Just cut off the affected portion and the thing was back to normal health. My theory is that the stem was damaged and then the top portion was cut off from nutrients so it melts in the middle where the damage is.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
how is your water circluation around the plant?
the water circulation is very good, Koralia 1 was being used near these plants, however i did reduce the co2 little bit after loosing one of the discus due to overdose of co2.

i also thought that circulation might be the problem, so i just added aqueon circulation 1250GPH pump, plants were blowing away crazy, so i had to add some stuff to it to reduce the flow, i added some plastic paper in front of the pump to reduce the flow, now the flow looks better.

My setup is:

50g
2x rena xp2
Aqueon circulation 1250GPH pump
T5HO 2x54w (was siting at 26" but now at 21")
EI dosing
GLA Atomic diffuser
ADA aqua soil (Osmocote plus root tabs)

water parameter:

KH .5-1
GH 5-8 (depending on how much Ca and Mg i add in my tank)
PH 6.0-6.4 (API reads yellow 6.0 during co2)
Temp 82-84F

Fish:

6x Discus fish

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i was thinking poor co2 due to poor circulation, but i guess you have that taken care of
just have to wait and see tomorrow when i will be coming home from work. i hope i don't see any dead fish, i did bump up the co2 after the water change today.

i never seen any of discus ever gasp for air on the surface, they rather sit in one corner and breathe faster. do they really go on surface when co2 is high for anyone else?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.