The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure if it was the right thing to do to try to plant them in my high tech tank. Well, they are finally switched to the submersed form. Somehow, the lower leaves, or leaves being somewhat shaded, are slowly growing some BBA and some GSA as well. The top portions and of course is doing fine. The plants are still very bushy, about 3 inches tall, in my 40b tank. The lighting in the tank is medium high to high, with higher par in the middle of the tank and much lower par towards the back. So, I am getting some uneven growth here. I just trimmed and replanted them and to spread them out more to get more light to the bottom of the plants.

Have anyone successfully grown them and how high is your lighting and how even they are? I am using a t5ho 2 bulbs 78w total, and 1 t8 2 bulbs work light towards the back. I am thinking about putting the t5ho light to the back and moving the t8 work light to the front. I planted the ludwigia glandulosa more towards the back.

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
Wrong plant for the wrong tank. Same story as with L. Cuba : 2 huge plants that grow 6++" per week in a 16" tall tank.

Personally, I trimmed both plants to death. Still have some 36" tall stems UN a 24" tank, but not for long.

v3

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
Wrong plant for the wrong tank. Same story as with L. Cuba : 2 huge plants that grow 6++" per week in a 16" tall tank.

Personally, I trimmed both plants to death. Still have some 36" tall stems UN a 24" tank, but not for long.

v3
I have found both work in my old 29 gallon, you just have to trim the bottom and replant the top or it will branch out too much. With the glandulosa especially, one trim from the top will produce new leaves at every node when its doing well which makes the plant like 8x as big in one trim.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is an update. I am wondering if I should add more iron? I am dosing about .5ppm of iron per the fert calculator with the iron from the trace and separate iron dosing combined. At certain days, the plants would become redder. At the other days, it is more orange. Now, I am seeing some green patches on the upper leaves and these leaves would eventually melt and to break off from the stem. I would think I have enough light since the stem is no taller than 3", in a 15" tall tank. The upper leaves, 1/3 of them, do turn redder.

I did my research on the plant and it seems that it prefers more iron but how much? I am very tempted to add more iron but knowing that iron toxicity can a problem to my other plants.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts