The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some ludwigia gradulosa that has grown quite a bit in the last few weeks. Would i cut these just below the first set of roots from top to bottom and replant top half. I really dont have alot of experience with stem plants. Thanks for the help.

Bump: would this be a good spot? small red circle about half way down

Attachments

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
With most stem plants you can cut where you want so don't worry. However, there are some things I noticed and may help grow faster.

Having a root at the first node above the cut helps.

Having a growing bud below the cut helps

The bigger the part of the plant left behind or cut the easier it is for that part to adapt (start growing again )

When scaping, it helps to know the specific plant growing paterns. For example most Ludwigia sp. will branch from most internodes (leaves) once the tip is cut or the plant reaches the surface. At the same time the older the part is the more and longer roots it will have.

In your particular case, I would cut the tops and throw the bottom parts as they look like emersed growth. However if you want more plants fast leave them in and let new plantlets grown, pick them and then throw the old stem.

Keep up the good work. The plant looks nice.

·
Registered
975 Posts
With most stem plants you can cut where you want so don't worry. However, there are some things I noticed and may help grow faster.

Having a root at the first node above the cut helps.

Having a growing bud below the cut helps

The bigger the part of the plant left behind or cut the easier it is for that part to adapt (start growing again )

When scaping, it helps to know the specific plant growing paterns. For example most Ludwigia sp. will branch from most internodes (leaves) once the tip is cut or the plant reaches the surface. At the same time the older the part is the more and longer roots it will have.

In your particular case, I would cut the tops and throw the bottom parts as they look like emersed growth. However if you want more plants fast leave them in and let new plantlets grown, pick them and then throw the old stem.

Keep up the good work. The plant looks nice.
Cutting and throwing is what I just started doing. This plant grows like crazy for me. I've noticed with stem plants and have been told as well that you need to be constantly trimming and discarding older growth to avoid shabby look and maintain high growth to avoid algae. What I started doing was trimming down to just before ugly old growth (not caring so much about roots because they will re-root very fast) and replanting the top and then cutting the old growth all the way down to the substrate leaving just one node with two leaves on it (it has regrown quickly every time). This way you never have "old" growth.

The plant does look great!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.