The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Bluefin Killis today and have them in a 10 gallon tank outside in the shade. But I do have lights (LED) on them for the plants. I'll run those lights for a few hours in the evening to help the frogbit grow. There are six of the killis. They look very pale and somewhat yellowish, but the blue fins are starting to show. After they get acclimated I hope they get good color. I put a tub over the top since they are known to jump, and it works to catch the flies and mosquitoes at night with the LED's lighting it up. They are wild caught so they need the bugs while I get them used to flake foods. But they did eat frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms today without any hesitation.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I have three swamp darters in a 10 gallon with two tiny badis fish, and all are fine. Swamp darters are pretty small and mild themselves.

I love the look of that tank! What are all the roots/moss at the bottom?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have three swamp darters in a 10 gallon with two tiny badis fish, and all are fine. Swamp darters are pretty small and mild themselves.

It is some old coir mat that has fluffed up from being in my tanks for months. Cool stuff. It starts off a tight mat from a roll that I buy by the foot at the hydroponics/gardening store. After a few months it falls apart and you get this fluffy coconut husk.

Bump:
I think bottom dwelling fish may be okay. My concern would be that darters may get quite a bit bigger than the killifish or keep scaring them from the midsection of the tank.
I think you are correct. The killis are very skiddish. A 10 gallon may not be large enough to have both.

·
Registered
802 Posts

It is some old coir mat that has fluffed up from being in my tanks for months. Cool stuff. It starts off a tight mat from a roll that I buy by the foot at the hydroponics/gardening store. After a few months it falls apart and you get this fluffy coconut husk.
Cool. Is that for egg/fry protection? Swamp darters would definitely eat those up.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool. Is that for egg/fry protection? Swamp darters would definitely eat those up.
I use it instead of other substrates for now. It requires soaking and rinsing at first, because it is processed with salts. I put it in a tub and soak and rinse for a few days. That seems to be all that is needed. I'd be surprised if fish actually 'ate' it. But they do love it. Eye candy, and more at my blog: aquariumexperiments.com

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Day 2

They like to hang out in the Floating Betta Logs. I see four of them regularly, but two are always hiding in the coir. I thought they died overnight, but they move quickly when I try to net them. Maybe they will eventually come out in the open. I am concerned they aren't eating if they stay in hiding. The basin over the tank is bringing in plenty of bugs that end up on the water surface, and the Killi's are quick to pick them off.

https://aquariumexperiments.files.wordpress.com/2016/05/20160526-lucania-goodei-day-2-007.jpg
[img]https://aquariumexperiments.files.wordpress.com/2016/05/20160526-lucania-goodei-day-2-004.jpg

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just got my Bluefin Killis today and have them in a 10 gallon tank outside in the shade. But I do have lights (LED) on them for the plants. I'll run those lights for a few hours in the evening to help the frogbit grow. There are six of the killis. They look very pale and somewhat yellowish, but the blue fins are starting to show. After they get acclimated I hope they get good color. I put a tub over the top since they are known to jump, and it works to catch the flies and mosquitoes at night with the LED's lighting it up. They are wild caught so they need the bugs while I get them used to flake foods. But they did eat frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms today without any hesitation.

Mine do better with other fish than when I keep them by themselves. I have some in a 55 gallon tank with wild type mollies, some in,a garden pond with goldfish. They seemed spooked when they were by themselves.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine do better with other fish than when I keep them by themselves. I have some in a 55 gallon tank with wild type mollies, some in,a garden pond with goldfish. They seemed spooked when they were by themselves.
That makes sense. I've seen that with other timid fish too. But this is only a 10 gallon, so 'too close for comfort' rule may apply.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I use it instead of other substrates for now. It requires soaking and rinsing at first, because it is processed with salts. I put it in a tub and soak and rinse for a few days. That seems to be all that is needed. I'd be surprised if fish actually 'ate' it. But they do love it. Eye candy, and more at my blog: aquariumexperiments.com

Nice tanks and web site!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Maybe a larger group of them works better as well. Did you collect these or buy them?
My LFS owner got them for me. I was told they were wild caught, but they are eating flake food beautifully, so I am not sure anymore. They were probably in with feeder fish in Florida somewhere, and picked out for the order. In which case, they learned to eat flake. The store owner comes into town about once a month I'm told, with fish orders. So I could get more. Maybe six more? They were $2.58 each.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
They aren't all that fussy, really. Just have to convince them that something is edible, and putting them with other fish (such as greedy feeders) will do that.
Pretty good price for bluefins, they can be difficult to find. 6 more sounds good, go for it!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
At that price I would get more. If you bought them from a store they were probably conditioned to fish food before they made it to the store.
I'll do it. 6 more it is. Yea, I can probably bring them inside if I want now that I know they will eat the flake so readily. But having them outside during the summer would be nice. I wonder if they can handle the heat? I know they are from florida, but a stream or creek will not get as hot as a standing 10 gallon puddle. Here in Virginia we can hit high 90's for a few weeks. In the shade I expect the water will get to the high 80's. I really don't know for sure because I've never kept a tank outside this way.

Bump:
They aren't all that fussy, really. Just have to convince them that something is edible, and putting them with other fish (such as greedy feeders) will do that.
Pretty good price for bluefins, they can be difficult to find. 6 more sounds good, go for it!
Have you ever kept them outside in the heat of summer? I am wondering if they can handle water in the high 80's, low 90's maybe.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.