The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I am going to be starting 2 very low light 2.5 gallon standard rectangular tanks. Im pretty sure ill be keeping java fern and maybe some moneywort and some Marimo moss in them. What kind of substrate should i use, how much (as in how many lbs should I buy combined for both 2.5 gallons, and where can I buy it! I keep reading about all this crazy substarte that ive never heard of or seen in store, eco complete... and other stuff i guess. Does it really make a difference? Thank you! Sorry im very new to planted tanks.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Don't worry about the lb per tank conversions you just need about 2 inches of substrate for those plants and if you want deep rooters go with 3 inches.

As for substrates anything in the 1mm-3mm range will work for those plants I'd look for something locally to save money. Your LFS's should have Flourite or Eco-Complete (about $15-$20 per 15lb bag) in stock or in a pinch Petco will have Active Flora. If you want something cheaper try a local Lesco or John Deere dealer for Turface Gray or the older SoilMaster Select Gray (about $8-$10 per 50lb bag) if they have it.

The cheapest method would be to find a local landscaping or orchard supply store and buy several bags of plain topsoil without fertilizers or additives ($3-$4 per 50lb bag) and cap it with pool filter sand from a pool/spa store ($3-$4 per 50lb bag).

- Brad

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great! Thanks for the advice! Ive looked around at the LFS's around and none seem to have anything besides standard gravel. Im going to have to make a trip to one called Big Al's a little more than an hour away to see if they have any. Ive heard they are a great store.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Great! Thanks for the advice! Ive looked around at the LFS's around and none seem to have anything besides standard gravel. Im going to have to make a trip to one called Big Al's a little more than an hour away to see if they have any. Ive heard they are a great store.
They also have a website in case you want to browse their goods ahead of time, assuming the online component carries the same stuff the B&M store does.

Link: http://www.bigalsonline.com/
Eco-Complete: http://www.bigalsonline.com/StoreCa...uery=eco-complete&queryType=0&hits=12&offset=

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.