The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am keeping red crystal with red cherries, I know it is not the best idea, because crystal red requires low PH, how low You can actually go with PH in the tank, to keep cherries in good health? my cherries are doing fine at the moment but I'm concern about breeding, will they breed with PH 6.5-7?, and what about GH/KH?

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
From my understanding, cherries, if acclimated right, do fine in the same parameters as crystals. Would probably want at least 1-2 KH and GH around 6?

Dwarf Shrimp Water Parameters ? DiscoBee

Shrimp Water Parameters

I *think* my KH and GH are about 3/4 each, so kind of on the low side and my cherries are fine, although the PH is is about 7.2 or 7.4? (I plan to double check the KH and GH later!)

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Just as a heads up.... checked the water parameters for my cherries.

pH 7.6
High pH 7.4
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
KH 3
GH 3
TDS 87

Looks like I need Crystal minerals since KH is fine! LOL

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Just as a heads up.... checked the water parameters for my cherries.

pH 7.6
High pH 7.4
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
KH 3
GH 3
TDS 87

Looks like I need Crystal minerals since KH is fine! LOL
How do the RCS breed in these parameters?

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Been breeding fine, although am having an issue with losing adults here and there. Have increased GH to 5 and TDS to about 154, and plan to raise it further.

In a larger tank (90+ g), the water parameters are something like this....

pH 7.6
High pH 7.4
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
KH 3
GH 3
TDS 102

So not much different at all... And *extremely limited* success... as in, plenty of berried females, no babies! Or the babies disappear after 1-2 days. Have had at least two make it to a month old. One of those, and possibly a third, may have made it to 2+ months old now?

Which is interesting because the larger tank has been set up and running for I don't know how long over a year. I've only known of the tank for just over a years time now. In comparison, the 20H that the cherries are breeding in has been set up going on 2 months now and the used HOB filter (after being cleaned and adding new media) is going on 3 months. The oldest babies in there are just about as old as the tank is.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My cherries are thriving in my soft, acidic water:pH 6-6.5, GH and KH are very low, almost 0. My second gen cherries are almost ready to breed. I don't know my TDS. I have only been keeping shrimp since February though.

So far I haven't seen any problems yet. Even my nerites are doing great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.