The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have been using 100% RODI water for WCs for the last couple of months. Gh 2.25-2.5, Kh 1. Fish and Plant life are doing very well. My pH w/o C02 is staying at 6.7-6.8 (the C02 tank is empty and needs to be refilled). The pH drops to about 6.5 after Auto-dosing Black Water, then climbs back up to 6.7-6.8.

I already have peat in the filter. Seachem's Acid Buffer will just chew away the little Kh1 that I have. Muratic Acid will do the Same?

I am hoping to eliminate the need/hassle/cost of adding C02, but don't want to give up the benefits of the 6.0 pH that I had. I am also hoping--over the long-haul--to eliminate the use of the Black Water Extract.

Even though the overall system is ~120g these days--I feel that I can probably dose Excel for the small amount of aquatic plant life that will remain in the system.

Are that any/many reasonable options for lowering the pH w/o C02?

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
You can lower the pH with things like acids and such but you are also raising the TDS when you do so. Which negates many of the benefits of having low pH water (low TDS).

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ever figure it out?
Kinda, Sorta. See below......:thumbsup:

You can lower the pH with things like acids and such but you are also raising the TDS when you do so. Which negates many of the benefits of having low pH water (low TDS).
You're Right, Rex, and I've figured that out recently. :hihi: I have some of Seachem's Acid Buffer that I use to regen Purigen and that I used for about a month on the system while waiting for my RO Unit to arrive. With a Kh of 1--it doesn't take much to have a large effect. I originally added 3 TABLEspoons and watched in horror as the pH dropped to 3.61 over the next 5 minutes! It took about 30 minutes to dawn on me--just add some baking soda! After about an hr total it was back up to 5.7. Life was good again! :tongue: 4 shiners and 2 sm. swordtails took it all like nothing ever happen. Of the +/-6 minnows--2 died and the others severly stressed, but managed to pull through without a problem. The various plants have shown no wear and tear at all. So, I guess we can add this to the pH Crash is a myth thoughts......

Now I use 1/4 TEAspoon at a time and a 1/2 tsp total seems to do the trick (~6.0), but it does raise the TDS about 30 points on this system--something I can live with, but I want/need to get my auto WC 100% completely worked out so I can lower the total TDS. For some reason it floats between ~180-215. I'd like to keep it below 200ppm 100% of the time and considerably lower--if I can ever figure out how.

I add P, K, Black Water, Kent's Zoe (B1), and fish food. All contribute to the TDSs. I don't feed that heavily, and like right now: Bioload (fish and food) is low. But TDSs just don't seem to go down past about 160ppm at the lowest. I'm using 100% Flourite and I cannot think of anything else that can be contributing to the TDS count.

I have a Dual TDS meter and a handheld. They are all calibrated together and read appropriately.

I really think that I just need to change more water--but I am working on that!

If anybody has any thoughts--Please pass them my way! :proud:

Thanx!

Side Note: I added 1/4 tsp of the acid buffer to 1g of RODI water (0ppm) yesterday and it raised the TDS to ~770ppm. Not sure what the value of that is, but there it is........:tongue:

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Went and got both of my #20 C02 tanks swapped out today--so life is Good. Setup the one for this system with only one internal reactor in the Aquatic Plant Filter (29g)--just going to try to keep that pH lowered 1.0 or more for those plants.

Been adding the Seachem Acid Buffer, but going to stop again for now. Adds too much to the TDSs IMO. But otherwise--works well. Ph has been hanging around 6.5-6.6 in Main Tank A and has dropped to about 6.15 in the last couple of hrs. Going to see how it all works.

I was trying to maintain the pH at 6.0 for the entire system and was doing well. Going to check out how things work/go with just focusing the C02 on the APF for now.

I may or may not continue to dose Excel for the EPF and plants in the Main Tanks A & B.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts