The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have recommendations on how to lower the pH in my CRS tank? I have CO2 I can add on but its only on when the lights are on. I have RO water and add more of that to get the KH down. Currently my pH is 7.6 and I need to get it down to around 6.5. Any help would be great thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Everyone has been telling me that CRS need a pH between 6 and 7. Gabezone (who I purchased my shrimp from) said he keeps his at 6.5. I could use CO2 but I don't keep it on all day (I run 2 other tanks off the same tank) so I would need to purchase a whole new setup to keep it going 24/7 or keep all the tanks going 24/7 i guess.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
If you can get it somewhere, use 'Keta-Peat Nuggets' by Marc Weiss Companies, Inc.

I would only use about 1/2 or even 1/4 the recomended ammount to lower the PH slowly. It does very-slightly tint your water, but it is natural and contains no copper, and works amazingly well.

For anyone who needs softer or lower ph water, I really can't say enough about this product. Gentle, Natural, and Works!

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Eco complete is not causing the problem. After several water changes it should not effect the pH or kH. Like I said in a pm, just get some test kits are combine RO with tap until you get a kH between 2-4. The pH should follow. Plus in my experience the kH is more important than the pH. Sure you can inject co2 but lowering the pH by injecting co2 does not really help crystals. Be careful with co2 injection and crystals do not go over 25-30ppms of co2.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Eco complete is not causing the problem. After several water changes it should not effect the pH or kH. Like I said in a pm, just get some test kits are combine RO with tap until you get a kH between 2-4. The pH should follow. Plus in my experience the kH is more important than the pH. Sure you can inject co2 but lowering the pH by injecting co2 does not really help crystals. Be careful with co2 injection and crystals do not go over 25-30ppms of co2.
Low kh is not equal to low ph in all waters. My kh is 2-3 and my ph is 7.6. I have other buffers in my city water other than Kh that keep my ph at 7.6

I had eco complete for more than a year and my ph, gh, kh in that tank were always high. The effects on mine did not go away fast. I ended getting rid of it.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Pedro after filtering water though a good RO the TDS should be zero. There should be nothing in the water at all buffering anything.

That is in theory, I have read other sites(tropical fish and reef places) and you do not always get TDS of 0 out of RO. There are some salts, etc that the RO unit will not remove completely. Believe me when I say, that I have changed my mebranes, TDS meter,RO unit, etc and still have buffers in the water. I am not saying the TDS are high, but enough to keep the ph at those levels.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have a RO unit. when I test the KH, GH, & PH of pure RO water my KH & Gh are 0 but my PH is 7.2 . when I add tap water to get the KH and GH up a bit my PH goes to 7.5 - 7.8 . This is having 2/3 Ro water and 1/3 tap. This is giving me 3 KH and 3 GH. I then run co2 on a controller to bring my Ph down to 6.5. Can CRS live healthy is 1 KH and 1 GH?

any suggestions?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.