The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 20L tank that is using active soil and the PH is 6.0 or so. I have 5 CRS in the tank currently and use remineralized RO water (PH 7.0) I read in the noobie shrimp keeper article to use a shrimp safe powder (Mosura) to bring the PH down to do the water change. I wanted to get additional opinions on what people use if anything to lower the PH of the water used for water changes. Tried to do a search on the forum for this but got an error multiple times so thanks in advance.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kind of what I was thinking, but did not know if the small and temporary PH bump up would be an issue, particularly if I get higher end shrimp down the road.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sorry for hijacking the thread OP :redface:, but what if the water going into the tank isn't RO/DI? Just plain old tap water that's probably in the 7.8 pH range.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks somewhatshocked, I am using the salty shrimp remineralization product. It gets the RO to a GH of 5. I test the TDS, GH, KH, PH, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate about once a week. Have done African Cichlids for 20 + years but new to shrimp and really enjoying them so far.

Mau5, NP on the thread hijack, good ? I hope experienced people respond to.

·
Super Moderator
16,051 Posts
There's more at stake than pH. 7.8 sounds like disaster zone for Crystals.

But what's the KH of the water? GH? TDS?

Generally, tap is a huge no-no for Crystals unless you live in the Pacific Northwest.

Sorry for hijacking the thread OP :redface:, but what if the water going into the tank isn't RO/DI? Just plain old tap water that's probably in the 7.8 pH range.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts