The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking of lowering the kh in my tank from 5.6 degrees to 2 or 3 degrees by using peat in the filter. How much peat would I need to use, and will the peat produce tannins in the water?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nevermind, found my answer.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
According to what I read, there really is no way to tell how much the peat will affect the water. Even if you use the same amount and same kind of peat each time, it will still affect the kh and ph at a different rate.It also WILL stain the water with tannins. At least that's what I read.:frown:

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No not at all. I just wanted to reduce the kh to see what positive effects I could get out of the plants form it. I've read on another thread that purigen would help with it as well as a diatom filter. I use purigen, but don't want to have to recharge it often, and I'm not gonna purchase a diatom. I could use ro water, but that's too much a hassle also.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Then Seachem's Acid Buffer would probably be Your best bet. They recommend that its used with their Alkaline Buffer but I haven't and plenty of other folks don't either.

But as You already know: Purigen removes Tannins and Humic Acids, so using it with peat is like shooting Yourself in the foot.

How big is the tank? 40g? Distilled water from the store is reasonable on a small tank.....

HTH

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah so, buying bottled water is a no go. Oh well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts