The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this may seem like such a dumb question but its the kind of thing that pops into my head from time to time and niggles lol Do you lose some filtration by turning down the flow on a filter spraybar/hose? On one hand if the water is pumped through the filter slower it will turn less water in the same amount of time a higher flow will, but on the other hand if the water is pumped through quicker, does it get cleaned as thoroughly? As you can tell I failed miserably at Physics :icon_conf

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Faster is better. It provides more oxygen to the beneficial bacteria. More oxygen means you can support the life of more bacteria. Slower flows mmeans the available oxygen per second is lower, and what bacteria is there will use it up faster. Does this mean that slow flow rates are bad? No.

The bio-wheel works off this principle. It has 2000 times the available oxygen that a cannister does. It can support lots of bacteria and that bacteria can convert more ammonia and nitrite due to the available oxygen

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
But the Bio-wheel can build a better/bigger colony because it comes in direct contanct with the atmosphere making the amount of available oxygen much greater, I do still agree with everything said.

On another note I have just started running my airstone (after reading Amano article) for 15.75 hour per night, almost the whole time my lights/CO2 are off, only leaving it off for 45 minutes before lights on to build some CO2 in the water column before lights on. I used to only run the airstone for 5 hours in the middle of the night and I can see a big difference in the health of my tank due to more/bigger/or heathier colony of nitrifying bacteria. This is a good way to boost the oxygen level in the water column no matter what type of filtration you are using and the plants and fish love it.

·
Banned
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ahhhhhhhhhh thanks very much! Ive had to turn the flow right down on a brackish set up with Bumblebee Gobies, as they just cant handle the current. Ive noticed the water is showing traces of ammonia since ( less than 0.25 but not zero as it should be) and also the fish are less active in general. The airstone chucks them all over the place too
:( Cant think how i can get more oxygen in it for both fish and the bacteria?

·
Banned
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
eheim biopower 160 internal powerfilter. My tank is only 6 gallons (UK) so I know its waaaaaaaaaay bigger than I need, but I thought the bigger the filter the more bacteria I could grown and the cleaner the water would be. I may have got that wrong though as Im still learning.

It has a dome on the top so that you can move the spray bar just about any depth or angle. Currently its about an inch under the surface.
The spray bar comes off and it can be set to have the outflow coming straight out of the dome on the top

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
If i install a valve to slow down the outflow will this affect the flow of oxygen in the canister?

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I would be more apt to spend a few dollars on a new used ten or twenty gal tank and filter would be fine as is.
In my area, you can buy a new ten gal tank for around ten or twelve dollars.
You could move the filter you have now to the ten gal and add fish the same day.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
To answer point the spary bar up towards the surface so there is more rippling of the surface water. This will increase 02 levels in the water column. Patriot. It affects oxygen molecules per second.. the more oxygen that is available. The more bacteria you can have. Thiis is why cannisters are so much begger than bio wheels. They need lots of surface area to accomodate appropriate levels of bacteria because oxygen is not readily available like it is on a biowheel.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
To answer point the spary bar up towards the surface so there is more rippling of the surface water. This will increase 02 levels in the water column. Patriot. It affects oxygen molecules per second.. the more oxygen that is available. The more bacteria you can have. Thiis is why cannisters are so much begger than bio wheels. They need lots of surface area to accomodate appropriate levels of bacteria because oxygen is not readily available like it is on a biowheel.
So adding a valve to slow down output a tid bit shouldn't affect bacteria growth too much then if the input of fresh water is still the same?

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
On a internal filter before on one of my tanks, in order to lessen the flow but still keep everything the same, I basically took a piece of plastic tubing, drilled holes, plugged up the end and made a spraybar that went exactly where I wanted and put it on the output of the internal filter. That way the same intake and outtake flow were the same, just the water coming from the outtake went to the DIY spraybar and lessened the water splashing and turbulence in the small tank.

·
Registered
939 Posts
So adding a valve to slow down output a tid bit shouldn't affect bacteria growth too much then if the input of fresh water is still the same?
if you slow the outflow you slow the input, you cannot create or destroy mass using an aquarium filter. I think getting a larger tank is a good idea, a 6 gallon is only suitable for 1 betta or maybe a cloud minnow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.