The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I typically keep my tank 77°F-81°F during the summer and winter Months.
Lately I've been hosting a lot more mosses in my tank so I decided that
at least during the winter -while it's easier, to keep my tank 69°F-73°F.
much to my delight, my tank water appears to be a lot clearer now.
so what may be going on here?
am I misapplying the cause and effect?
my fish seem to behave about the same,
and I'm curious to see how this lower temperature
will effect the growth of other plants I've been keeping.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Interesting theory...I've been running without heaters for several years now without temperature fluctuating more than +/-1 degree due to light fixture heat. Temp centers around 26C/78F. Can't cool it down by lowering room temp (Canadian winters), but water's always been clear, so can't really add anything to your idea...anyone else?

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh, I don't cool it with a chiller or cold room temperature,
I just mount a 4" fan between the fixture and tank water.
this trick gets my water about 5°F below room temperature
due to the heat transfer from high rate of water evaporation.
my range is +2/-2 also because of my fixture being on or off.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Maybe bacterial and algae blooms are being limited by the cooler temps. I imagine not all bacterial and algae blooms are serious enough to cause the severe cases of green water or cloudy water people are always posting pics of. Smaller, controlled blooms probably happen all the time in our tanks as part of the natural life cycle. Maybe these are being slowed by the cooler temps? Just a theory. I live near the ocean and I've never seen a large bloom in the winter like you can see in the summer.

I don't have heaters in any of my tanks. I never found it necessary given the room temp is stable. My tank light cause little fluctuation.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
amazing to me how a few degrees matter.
at 69°F my fish stay still near the gravel,
which generates more heat from mulm life
at 72°F they resume their normal activity.
So I'm going to stay in the 71-75°F range,
then take note of plant growth changes.
using a digital and mercury thermometer

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
My first guess would be from a higher 02 content. The warmer the water--the less 02 it will hold. Since using the DIY Oxygenator my water appears noticeably clearer as both I and another user noticed. I have since picked up an 02 tank and regulator off ebay--since dropping temps isn't an option for me (84-85F). I just need to get the tank filled.

The colder water will hold considerably more 02. Which does seem to have a clarifying effect.

HTH

·
Registered
722 Posts
My water is crystal clear and my temp is 78-80
did you add more plants to the tank...more plants= less nutrients available for algae ....(just covering the bases)

as for plant growth...i always thought plant growth slowed down the colder it got....the hotter it gets the faster the plants metabolism is so more plant growth (im winging it here)

but we are only really talking a few degrees here...

some plants do seem to like cooler water....but i think regardless of water temp if you have adequate light,co2,and nutrients...you could grow anything
(now im just rambling)

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Maybe bacterial and algae blooms are being limited by the cooler temps. I imagine not all bacterial and algae blooms are serious enough to cause the severe cases of green water or cloudy water people are always posting pics of. Smaller, controlled blooms probably happen all the time in our tanks as part of the natural life cycle. Maybe these are being slowed by the cooler temps? Just a theory. I live near the ocean and I've never seen a large bloom in the winter like you can see in the summer.

I don't have heaters in any of my tanks. I never found it necessary given the room temp is stable. My tank light cause little fluctuation.
i like this theory... Colder waters absorb more O2 too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.