The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,
I have a Taiwan Bee tank that is over a year old by now. The first half year was great, but these last few months the shrimp seem on average to be slower. It's not like they are dying off left and right or anything, but just that there are more "bad days" when they just kind of stand around. (There are periods of good days too, but I still haven't figured out what makes the difference.)
Anyway, since I still use the same food, same water, etc, the only thing I can think of is that the substrate and driftwood "ran out" and the pH is about half a point higher than original.
I tried some common methods to lower it like: add IAL, alder cones, scoop of new substrate, but all that does is lower pH by about 0.2 for about a week and then it rises back up again. I also got some peat moss but didn't use it because I tested it and saw it releases ammonia in the water.
Does anybody use those tannin extracts like SL Aqua Dark Extract, SS Leaves and Bark, etc?
The water is RO + SS GH and I change 15-20% every 1 or 2 weeks.
The other reasons for trying to lower the pH are anti-bacterial benefits, and anti-ammonia (even though I always measure zero)
pH used to be 6.2 initially, now 6.7

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
You may just need to change out the substrate or look into either aquarium socks or HOB filters/breeders to put more substrate into.

The dark extract and the leaves and bark are likely to change the color of the water - which is not a bad thing. I haven't seen anyone mention peat moss releasing ammonia so it's possible others hadn't tested for it?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
maybe it was the driftwood after all? I had put in a separate container approx 1/6th the total amount of my substrate and it did next to nothing. If it were really "buffering", then it should have dropped the pH to the original level, and then "run out" a little while later.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.