The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used the search function as I am sure this has been asked before but, what makes a tank low tech vs high tech?

I am going to assume that low tech tanks are low light tanks that just use the substrate and light to grow. Where as a high tech tank uses pressurized CO2, LED lights, heaters, all the tricks to make it grow faster and fuller? Are there any other differences?

I saw someone post that a low tech tank is less work than a high tech tank, I am curious what the advantage is and why in the long run it would be less work?

Thank you for answering my questions.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
How many people are on this forum...because you can get a good idea of how many deffinetions there are to low tech that way.
The most informative answer to that (I beieve) is this:
LOW TECH = low maintenance/low cost...
HIGH TECH = high maintenance/high cost...
There is no written guideline...but generally speaking I think most draw the line once you add CO2 injected to a tank. There are other forms of it but injected makes a noticable jump in plant growth and if good equipment is bought it cost about $200 to get it. Of coures buying used equipment does save some on this.
CO2 is contained in(most) water always but some is not enough if you have high lights as the plants need three things to grow and enough of each. without high light they get enough without adding injected CO2.
If you read this expanation it tells you all you need to know about plant growth in
an understandable way.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=107303
Then you can decide which you would like. Whatever lights you might want are up to you and so is any other equipment. Just emember that most of theLED lights put you in the high light category unless your tank is over 18" tall and you will fight algae till you invest in injected CO2. There are exceptions but read first and then do the exceptions.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That pretty much clears it up. I assumed that was the answer but wanted to be sure. I was sure I had a high tech tank but wasn't sure where the line was drawn. I have seen some posts where people call theirs medium tech.

The thread you linked to I actually read before putting my pressurized CO2 system a short while back. I had a reef tank so was and am very familiar with dosing and adding in what the tank needs to thrive.

Thank you for clearing those things up for me. :wink:

·
Registered
366 Posts
Its a tough answer, CO2 injection is my go to for it though. Now there are other considerations, such as DIY CO2. Highly regimented dosing on high light tanks (I don't differentiate between forms, we are all low tech and have high light LEDS) can easily be the same work load as a High tech set up. Just depends on what you like to use and what you have fun with. I have even heard the term medium tech tossed around as a sort of middle ground and catch all for tanks in between the two.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I started with high tech with all the neccessary equipments, just got tired of trimming and turned it into low-medium. I just slowed down Co2, raised my lights, cut the ferts, changed the plants and minimal water change. I think if your growing to sell, high tech maybe good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts