Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's see if this make sense:

1. Low tech = low light = less than 1.5w/g
2. >1.5 wpg = can get away with no CO2
3. >1.5 wpg + no CO2 = less fert needed
4. >1.5 wpg + no CO2 + less fert = slow growth
5. low tech also means less water change? (according to Steve Hampton and seconded by Tom Barr)

I am starting to like this low tech approach because low light means low cost, and no CO2 means less to maintain. I am running over 600w of lights so it cost quite a bit monthly, CO2 dosn't cost that much but still means trips to refill, etc., And may be I am weird, but I don't enjoy water changes.

I wonder if it make sense to buy the BIG matured low light plants and grow them in low tech environment so their slow growth isn't a factor anymore? Can a matured Java Fern that came from a high tech environment acclimate to a low tech environment?

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Let's see if this make sense:

1. Low tech = low light = less than 1.5w/g
2. >1.5 wpg = can get away with no CO2
3. >1.5 wpg + no CO2 = less fert needed
4. >1.5 wpg + no CO2 + less fert = slow growth
5. low tech also means less water change? (according to Steve Hampton and seconded by Tom Barr)

I am starting to like this low tech approach because low light means low cost, and no CO2 means less to maintain. I am running over 600w of lights so it cost quite a bit monthly, CO2 dosn't cost that much but still means trips to refill, etc., And may be I am weird, but I don't enjoy water changes.

I wonder if it make sense to buy the BIG matured low light plants and grow them in low tech environment so their slow growth isn't a factor anymore? Can a matured Java Fern that came from a high tech environment acclimate to a low tech environment?
All plants acclimate themselves to their new enviroment. Now if its a low light plant(such as Java fern) that is being moved to a low light tank its just going to have a slower growth rate. Now if you move a High Light plant(such as combomba) to low light it can die or just grow very slow. Acclimation is pretty much a dormant period for a plant where there is no visible growth but the roots are growin in.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have a huge Java Fern that came from high light tank and it has adapted well in my 2 wpg tank with Excel. I like the mid level light with low maintenance approach......

Bill

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is my take, instead of regular trimming due to rapid growth of high tech approach, why not reduce the light/CO2/Fert/WC and accept slower growth? I am going to reduce my monthly power bill by reducing the lighting from 3+ wpg to 2+ wpg then 1.5 wpg. May be I'll spend the saving on buying big matured plants.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts