The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Forum People, I have fallen out of having aquariums for quite a while and am just getting back into it. So for my first foray into to a planted tank i have bought a 48wx13dx24h 60 gallon tank. I am having trouble figuring out the lighting that I can use though. The tank came with a hooded set up with 2 18 inch 15w T8 Bulbs which I'm 90% sure not enough for anything. So as such I've been looking into other sources and I came across the Aquatic Life LED Aquarium Light Fixture 48" I'm just not entirely sure that is is good enough for plants. Another worry is it would have to be open top and well I have Cats who love to try and get my fish. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! (First Post)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hello Forum People, I have fallen out of having aquariums for quite a while and am just getting back into it. So for my first foray into to a planted tank i have bought a 48wx13dx24h 60 gallon tank. I am having trouble figuring out the lighting that I can use though. The tank came with a hooded set up with 2 18 inch 15w T8 Bulbs which I'm 90% sure not enough for anything. So as such I've been looking into other sources and I came across the Aquatic Life LED Aquarium Light Fixture 48" I'm just not entirely sure that is is good enough for plants. Another worry is it would have to be open top and well I have Cats who love to try and get my fish. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! (First Post)
First off welcome! The 2 18 inch 15w T8 Bulbs won’t be enough light. And I heard that Aquatic life said there LED fixture is not meant for freshwater plants ( but don't quote me on that). I actually have the same tank as u! Right now I have the Home Depot 2 bulb Diamond Plate Shop Light. This light gives me low light and does a pretty good job. But doesn’t do well with smaller tanks like dwarf sag. What kind of plants do u want in your tank?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Your Tank

Hello Shag...

Check into shop lighting at the local hardware store. A two bulb fixture and two 6500K florescent aquarium plant bulbs will run about $20.00. This type of lighting is fine for low light plants. The 48 inch fixture and two T8 or T12 bulbs will work.

B

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
i have my planted plus from finnex 24 in above the substrate. check out my tank. stuff grows great. no co2 or excel either. just light dosing of dry ferts.

I would suggest this led lighter for you as well if you wish to keep things low tech as i did.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts