The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ive been keeping mostly reef tanks, but cant deny my passion for planted tanks so i got myself a little Fluval for my office and thought would share it with you guys.

Current FTS:

Added equipment:

*25W Sera Heater(fits perfectly inside pump compartment so no exposed heater here. This heater is really well made, with adjustment knob and it keeps the tank at 78.5 F constantly even though my office stays a bit cold at times. Here is a pic of how it fits in the tank:

*Finnex Fugeray Planted+(16")
*Coralife Digital Thermometer

Im currently dosing NPK and Flourish Excel along with the regular Fourish.
I can tell the plants are growing really well and hope to add more pics of the development of the tank soon!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Really nice
Thanks!

Looks good. What are the short green plants in the front? Also where did you purchase the heater?

Thanks! The foreground plants are glossostigmas. I bought the heater at a pet store here in Long Island(Commack). If you want i can give you the name, but i believe you will find these online. I tried others and most brands will really require the unit to be 50w in order to keep the temp steady without swings even for a 5 gal and the hidden compartment is quite small. The Sera is the third one i tried with success( fluval edge 25 didnt keep up; Marina 50w doesnt have markings in the knob so you cant tell what temp it is set to...dissapointing).

·
Registered
21 Posts
I recently cut a hole in the pump output tube. About half up, approx 1/8" diameter, and facing the heater. It has really helped with circulation and really helps distribute the heated water a lot better.
My spec used to hover around 73*. Now, it's right at78*--without adjusting anything.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I recently cut a hole in the pump output tube. About half up, approx 1/8" diameter, and facing the heater. It has really helped with circulation and really helps distribute the heated water a lot better.
My spec used to hover around 73*. Now, it's right at78*--without adjusting anything.
That is a good tip! Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts