The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! Long time no post. I have a 10 gallon hard water tank that I have been maturing without any artificial lighting for over a month (the filter was cycled before I set the tank up, but I wanted to mature the tank before adding any plants), and I am just about ready to add plants. Here is my tentative plant stocking list;

-Najas gaudalupensis (guppy grass) occupying the entire left side of the background, part of the right side, and the very edges of the foreground
-Dwarf tiger lotus, occupying the foreground a few inches away from the left edge
-Dwarf saggitaria, occupying the right 2/3rds of the foreground
-Ludwigia (rubin?), occupying a section of the background that starts about 2/3rds of the way from the left side of the tank and which ends shortly before the right edge.

How does this sound? If this helps, the tank has a 3 inch deep layer of pool filter sand; will be dosed with Thrive C and flourish excel (the latter at a half dose at first to avoid melting the guppy grass); has a 90 GPH internal filter filled with coarse filter sponge (nitrates are 0 ppm and has been at that level the entirety of the tank's lifespan); will have two 310 lumen R20 LED bulbs (with a 100 degree beam angle) set to 6 hours a day at first (don't know the PAR on these, but I have good luck using similar bulbs to grow houseplants); and has a single Persian killifish (Aphanius mento) and a robust population of trumpet snails that do a very good job keeping detritus to a minimum (I see very little when I do the weekly 40% water change). Thanks for your thoughts :)

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
The guppy grass will take over of course. The dwarf sag should be fine in hard water. The ludwigia and the tiger lotus are big maybes. Depending on species the ludwigia might do fine or not make it at all. Tiger lotuses are usually from soft water areas, I don't know how it will do in hard water, I guess it depends on how hard.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The guppy grass will take over of course. The dwarf sag should be fine in hard water. The ludwigia and the tiger lotus are big maybes. Depending on species the ludwigia might do fine or not make it at all. Tiger lotuses are usually from soft water areas, I don't know how it will do in hard water, I guess it depends on how hard.
I was going to do either Ludwigia repens or Ludwigia 'Rubin'...I have also given thought to Rotala rotundifolia or leopard val. That's a good thing to know about the tiger lotus...I am thinking of trying a Cryptocoryne or Echinodorus instead. My thought is that since guppy grass is a strictly aquatic plant, it will have to do less acclimating than many aquarium plants do and will thus immediately be in a position to discourage algae in this tank.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have Ludwigia repens and it took a while to get settled in, but now it's going great. I have a tiger lotus (Nymphaea zenkeri I think?) that also does well, but I don't have much kH to write home about. That said, it is a pretty large plant for a 10 gallon!

·
Registered
All peaceful community fish.
63 Posts
I have really good luck with Water Wisteria as a background plant, but it grows like crazy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts