The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help with what plants will grow well in my tank. Im not looking to upgrade the current lighting or add co2. I currently have some flame moss and anubias nana which are doing well besides a little alage growth that i have to brush off once in a while. I had 2 types of sword plants i think that didnt do well at all. The guy at the store told me he wasnt the plant guy and didnt know too much about them, but i gave them a shot anyway and they slowly turned brown and began deteriorating.

My tank setup is a 29g with a deep blue T5 light fixture with 2 bulbs(14w each) and baylees better bottom substrate.

Im looking for some jungley/river type looking plants as i want the tank to kind of look like the bottom of a river in the jungle.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I'm not as experienced as many of the people here, but I have a low tech/light tank and my Amazon Swords and Water Wisteria have REALLY taken off recently, they're very easy to keep, and I actually have to trim the Water Wisteria ever other week. My Java Moss survives but doesn't seem to grow or be as green as it could be. I also have some Milfoil that does pretty good too.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
amazon swords as well as other plants will go through a acclamation period where they will appear to be doing bad, lose leaves and then put out new adapted growth. This is especially the case for plants transitioning from emerged growth to submerged growth.

low light plants: pretty much any anubias variety, java fern, java moss and other moss varieties, some crypt varieties, some sword varieties

That's not an all inclusive list, but there are quite a few options as you can see. There is a sticky thread with a list of low light plants on this forum.

Is your T5 normal output or high output? Is it on top of the tank or raised? If raised, how much? Do you dose excel or any fertilizers?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im assuming high output cause it says high efficency on it. And it sits about 2-3 inches above the tank.

Do you think if i picked up another of the same light that, that would be overkill for the tank making it 56w of T5.

·
Registered
414 Posts
a 14w T5 lamp that is 24" long (he has a 29g so I assume that's what size the bulb is) is definately a NO bulb. What color temp bulbs are you using?

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Check out this chart Hoppy's Chart
If the fixture is HO you'd be in medium to high light, if its an NO fixture you'd be looking more at low light.

I googled the fixture but I didn't see anything that said with certainty if the fixture is NO or HO.

In either case you don't want CO2 injection I would NOT add more light. I don't know if having high light without CO2 would cause plants to melt, more likely cause would be algae outbreaks.

Depending on what you really in terms of low or high light I would either A: Do nothing except go back to dosing Excel. OR B: Do nothing and find more low light acceptable plants that can survive in low light without added CO2. OR C: if you have high light-reduce light and stick with low light plants OR D: if you have high light-do nothing except go back to dosing excel or consider other CO2 solution.

of course plants will also appreciate fertilizers but its not a necessity with hardy low light plants.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Low Tech Plant Help

Hello mitchell...

I have low tech/low light tanks. T5 bulbs will give more intense light over a small area, so it's good you have two. 6500 K bulbs are recommended because of the light blue color and best mimic natural daylight which is 5500 K. I'm "old school" and still use the "watts per gallon" rule. It makes the most sense to me. 1 to 2 watts of light per gallon will grow most aquatic plants, so your lighting is good for low light plants like Anubias, Java fern, and most varieties of Cryptocoryne, Pennywort and Water Wisteria. I also like to float Indian fern. Another couple that might do well is Hygrophila. The polysperma variety is a nice color. It turns pink as it grows toward the light. Ludwigia ovalis is another good looking plant. The taller Amazon swords are good too, because they'll be closer to the light.

That should be enough to cover a 29 G tank. I have several large tanks and experiment with different substrates and fertilizers to see what will grow in low light. Attached are some pics of some of my tanks. They look a little strange, but the plants grow well and fish have never complained.

Let me know how your plants do if you like. I'm never too busy to talk about planted tanks.

B

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the responses guys. The bulbs that came with it say acctinic-03 and daylight 10kk. So i dont know if there is maybe a better bulb configuration that i should try, if i anyone knows one that they have had success with let me know.

BBradbury thanks for the list of some plants, and your tanks look great. Im trying to get a concrete list of what will do well and look good in my tank and place a big order online. Most of the LFS around me dont have a great selection of plants.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.