The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a 20g high that I just started my mom saw it and now wants me to do the same thing to her tank the problem is her tank is much bigger and I'm not sure if the lighting I'm using will be ok for her tank witch is a 75 gallon I'm using 3 13w cfl bulbs on mine it was cheap and pretty much does the same thing something more expensive would my question to you guys is would the cfl bulbs be ok and if so how should I determine what watt I should be using

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Going by watts per gallon is a few years behind the times, but here goes:

In general a larger tank can get by with a few less wpg than a smaller tank.
If the 75 is the same height as your 20, then multiply it out, then round down to whatever fixtures you can find. You have about 2 wpg over your 20, I would aim for about 1.75 to 2 wpg over the 75 gallon. Try to find a fixture (or use more than one) that will spread the light out as equally as possible over the full length of the tank.

As an example, I am using some garage/shop fixtures that hold T-8 fluorescent bulbs. I got them at home depot. They have a sort of chrome-look, and diamond plate pattern. Just as aquarium keeping was getting into PAR ratings for comparing lights, these became available, and turned out to be about the best you could do with T-8 bulbs. Very good quality reflector. I have one of these fixtures (4' long, 2 bulbs) over several smaller tanks that are side-by-side.
I have a 2 of a similar fixture (not quite as good) (4 bulbs) over my 72 gallon bowfront (tank is 4' long). This is a lot of light (128 watts, not quite 2wpg), but the tank is 2' high, so it works out pretty good. Still low tech (Excel, no CO2)

Lithonia Lighting Diamond Plate 2-Light Chrome Fluorescent Ceiling Shop Light-1241DP RE - The Home Depot

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
You can use 3 of these reflectors:

Put 15 watt CFL, 6500K bulbs in them, and suspend them about 6 inches above the top of the tank. That should give you good light for a low light tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.