The Planted Tank Forum banner

Low Tech lights for Bowl aquariums

1605 10
Hello everyone,

I thought it might be useful to start a thread about low tech light options for small bowl aquariums. I'm currently setting up a 2g bowl for a betta. I'm planning on using sand as my substrate, and probably just going to add some guppy grass and moss. I may dose some ferts and add anubias or a java fern as well. Does anyone have a go to gooseneck light that they like, or a particular bulb that might go good on a desk lamp that could work? Any advice would be appreciated. I was considering this bulb in a traditional gooseneck lamp:

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/172358/SATCO-S9404.html

Thanks,
Chris
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
214 Posts
Both the linked options give me one concern: heat. Your lights-on temp vs lights-off may have a large swing - especially with such a small water volume. Consider the distance from light to water, air flow, etc. to help even out temp. I used an LED standard-socket light (GE, I think) instead of a CFL for that reason, over a 1g vase tank. The CFL would bring the water up to 80deg quickly, while at maybe 70deg at night. That’s too much swing for most healthy fauna (shrimp and snails in my case). The LED had nowhere near that impact.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do agree with Proteus01 about the temperature, but at a distance it should be okay? Reddhawkk have you had any issues with temperature swings?

Bump: I do agree with Proteus01 about the temperature, but at a distance it should be okay? Reddhawkk have you had any issues with temperature swings?

· Registered
1,565 Posts
There's a few LED COB flashlights/worklights made here lately for about $4 to $7 that run on AAA cells that can be directly converted to running off of a 5 volt mini USB wall wart cell phone charger.

It would require some DIY skill, plastic surgery and a soldering iron and rosin core solder.

These lights have been coming down in price and the latest ones I bought at our Grocery Outlet food store for $2.99

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just to let everyone know that light from Buce Plants wasn't exactly what I thought it would be. Works great if you're just doing some moss or something but really not a planted tank light. It has a button to change the color of the light and even a "disco" like mode that changes the color every few seconds. Not ideal but it does serve the purpose.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.