The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am new around here and i was wondering,, when you all say low tech lighting, how much WPG are you talking about to be considered low tech?

I have a 29 gallon tank and i am wondering what kind of plants i can put into it, would like some nice ground cover, a medium size broad leaf plant and a tall plant to cover my filter intake and heater.

The tank currently has the stock hood, i have been thinking about upgrading to the AHSupply 55w retro kit but am not sure as funds are short. If i do go with that kit any suggestions on the intensity of the bulb?

Thank you all,,

Eric

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, but if i stay with the stock hood could i grow anything?, and which would be the best intensity if i went the ahsupply route,, 10k?

·
Registered
180 Posts
How long it last is not dependent on the color rating, 6700k or 10k.

What do you have currently in the stock hood ? When i got my tank from Petco, it come with a 15 Watts T5 which is good for my use and i only need to change the bulb (from Walmart - GE 9325k). But it is for my low tech / light 10 gallon tank.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it is a stock 22w light from the petsmart 29g tank.

I really want to get a nice flourishing carpet type plant with mabey a few more larger plants for mid ground and back ground. i am in the middle of doing a water change atm and as soon as i can i will post a pic if i can figure out how. the tank has been cycling for about 3 weeks and is still a little cloudy so i am trying to think for about three weeks into the future.

THX again for all the experiance and advice =-)

·
Registered
898 Posts
With 22w your not going to get a flourishing forground. Plants that will live at this level are few. Java ferns,moss, Anubias, and Nymphaea lotus sp. are a few that I've got to grow with a stock light. Most stem plants are out of the question, and the ones that will live are a Class A Noxious weed.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So my best bet is to go with the 55w retro kit i am gathering,, thanks for the advice all, will be ordering one soon!

Eric

·
Registered
8 Posts
unfortunately lush forest like growth is not really synonymous with low-tech tanks where lighting is around 1.5-2.0 WPG. With a 55 Watt you're not even reaching 2.0 WPG btw. I would try to be more realistic about your expectations unless you go with even more higher lighting but then you'll get into much more complicated things like CO2 and fertilizers.

I can understand though if you feel like a lot of us are kicking you when you're down. However, we're just trying to help you and unfortunately desire does not substitute well for reality. Stick with the plants other ppl have suggested. It is true that you may have plants that may survive and even grow very slowly but it's more disappointing than successful.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hey Eric :0)
I don't know what your budget is like or how much you are willing to spend, but I'm going low-tech, because I have another hobby (money pit) and that is my car. Very expensive.

Have you thought of starting smaller?
Like a 2.5 Gallon?

Maybe this will cheer you up :wink: Plenty of good looking tanks, low lighting and no CO2!!!! :biggrin:

http://www.plantgeek.net/forum/album_cat.php?cat_id=4

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you all for your advice and your experience, you are not kicking me when i'm down just showing the reality of things and that is great!

I have had many tanks in the past so most of the equiptment is leftover from them, that is the reason that i bought a 29 gallon is because i already had a bunch of the stuff.

I realize that i will not have the Growth and beauty that alot of the people on this forum have and i am perfectly fine with that, as i stated i am on a budget and that sets lots of limitations in any hobby.

As this is my first "Planted Tank" being on a budget i am just looking to get my foot into the door with a few plants and then mabey work my way up. I am a very patient man and if it takes months and months that is all the more fun as i can watch it grow.

I will be posting probly in the plant forum to find out about a few starter plant options, as i stated above i am looking for some nice ground cover and mabey a medium broad leaf and some other tall plant to hide my heater and such. All of this to come after i get my light kit installed and such:biggrin:

ON A SIDE NOTE

I have been surfing this board for a few weeks and learning all i can from you all. Just want to say thank you much for all of the knowlege! And there are so many awesome looking tanks out there, i hope i can get to where you are at some day!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hey Eric,

there are many of us started this hobby with a "tight" budget

A low cost / low tech / low light tank is still a very do-able option; albeit working with the world of low light plants eg. moss, java fern, P. Gayi, Crypts, anubias and even HM or Marselia for a foreground.

I did exactly that...see link below. It remains the lowest cost / maintenance tank i ever have. Looking forward to seeing your tank pics soon.... :)
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/photo-album/38645-new-oceanic-33-low-tech-tank-2.html#post360633

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
HEHE, WOW!!!

Just got the 55W retro kit and installed it, WOW

The tank is so bright i cant believe it, now i just got to get some plants and fish, lol.

Not sure how you guys with 200 and higher wattage can even look at your tanks without sunglasses, lol:icon_mrgr

Anyways thanks for all the help and suggestions,, much is appreciated!

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
lol. I started with a regular 10 gallon hood. Went up to an AHSupply 36w retrofit and thought that was pretty bright. BAM! Went and got a Tek fixture. Damn, that's bright stuff....and now, I'm thinking of retrofitting 2x70W MHs into my 40 gallon tank canopy. It just keeps getting brighter and brighter and brighter! :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
wow,

well this is gonna be it for now for me, jsut looking around for some plants for that light and get some fish. I am looking for a couple Angels and Cardinal tetras and also a couple other long fin species and mabey some sort of clean up crew.

The plant aspect was thinking about some riccia, anubias and mabey a java fern if they will grow!

we will see:icon_smil

1 - 20 of 26 Posts