The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the planning phase of setting up a 37g column tank. Measurements are 20Lx18Wx24H. Looking for low-tech low-cost lighting options for a planted SA river bottom set up. Not sure of the plants I'm using yet, but obviously need to be tolerant of low lighting conditions. I have a nice tall piece of driftwood that reaches about 2/3 up the tank that I would like to affix some plants to as well. My main concern is having enough light reaching the bottom of the tank.

I plan on keeping a school of cardinal tetra and 2-3 german blue rams, possibly some hatchetfish.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I have a current USA satellite plus on my 65, same height as yours, and have a jungle of chain swords on the floor. tennelus, xingu, Vesuvius, all growing like crazy. I would imagine many of the high light, low grow plants would be light-starved, but you'll do fine with nearly anything else.

And higher up, there's plenty of light.

·
Registered
49 Posts
This is my low-tech 60g cube, 24"x24"x24". Using a Fluval LED, running 7 hours a day. It's a high-intensity LED, good for high and low tech tanks, and the good thing about it is that you can adjust the intensity. It also has a night-time blue setting, if you're into that sorta thing. Has good penetration through the water column, and my crypts are growing pretty well despite being on the bottom and being partially shaded by the other plants.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
It's similar. The one you're looking at is the Eco Bright, and it will probably work just fine for your tank. The one I have is the 2.0, which is an updated version of their original fixture. Some differences between the Eco and the 2.0 are that the Eco has a single row of LEDs, while the 2.0 has several rows of LEDs; even then, the Eco is still pretty bright on its own. Also, the 2.0 has 5 different color LEDs, while the Eco I believe only has 2 or 3. The Eco even comes with a remote to adjust blue and white LEDs, whereas the 2.0 does not. In my opinion, the Eco Bright is really all you will need for a low-tech aquarium, and while you have a tall tank, you won't need the width that I do for my tank, since my tank is a cube (24x24x24). I probably would have been better off with two of the Eco's (would've cost about the same) I enjoy the 2.0, and it opens up my options for some brighter-light plants. I would recommend the Eco Bright myself, especially if you're on a budget, are worried about algae growing very rapidly, and are really just looking for a low-tech, low maintenance aquarium. Whichever one you choose, Fluval makes a great product, and they great if you want something on the higher end, but don't want to spend a stupid amount of money.

VV This link will take you to the one I have VV

https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/f...4-34-fluval/?gclid=CPG0q5Pd6csCFZCIaQodfpcI6g

VV This is a great review I found VV

Fluval Eco Bright LED Strip Review - Freshwater Aquarium

Hope this helps you out ;) If only I put this much effort into my college classes lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts