The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting 4 or 5 different Anubis plants in my 55g tall, with black sand bottom. Any suggestions on floating plants, something that is relatively easy and low maintenance.

I don't really know a whole lot about them, and if possible, something that flowers. This tank gets a decent amount of natural sunlight for most of the day if the shutters are open on the window. It also has a nice portion of the top open, so if it needed room to flower it's available.

I'm going to be keeping either dwarf Gouramis or Endlers, whichever prove easier to get, or both if they would coincide. I also have zebra danios and shrimp, which I'm not worried about them getting eaten.

Thank you for input

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Amazon frogbit or red root floaters sorry, no flowering I'm aware of but easy to control and remove if you want to later. Many fish nibble the roots as a veggie source.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Amazon frogbit or red root floaters sorry, no flowering I'm aware of but easy to control and remove if you want to later. Many fish nibble the roots as a veggie source.
This, or water lettuce which is nicer looking imo. I've tried them all, and everything but water hyacinth grows well at least in my setups (3wpg t5ho) Whatever you do dont get duckweed, its nearly impossible to get rid of once established.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Floating Plants

I am getting 4 or 5 different Anubis plants in my 55g tall, with black sand bottom. Any suggestions on floating plants, something that is relatively easy and low maintenance.

I don't really know a whole lot about them, and if possible, something that flowers. This tank gets a decent amount of natural sunlight for most of the day if the shutters are open on the window. It also has a nice portion of the top open, so if it needed room to flower it's available.

I'm going to be keeping either dwarf Gouramis or Endlers, whichever prove easier to get, or both if they would coincide. I also have zebra danios and shrimp, which I'm not worried about them getting eaten.

Thank you for input
Hello Mr....

I float Anacharis and Pennywort in my planted tanks. The two have covered the surface of all three of my 55 Gs. Good users of the extra nutrients in the water. So much so, I have no more visible algae in the tanks.

You can take advantage of the open area of the tank, by emersing the roots of the Chinese Evergreen. The leaves stay above the water to take in CO2 from the air and the plant flowers constantly.

B

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I'm going to stay away from the Duckweed.

I like the look of the Pennwort, but I think the red adds some nice color too. Decisions, decisions. Does anyone know a good place to get plants online beside aquabid and liveaquaria. Thank you for the input

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've got dwarf water lettuce and - salvinia? - in my 75. Pretty much take 2/3 of it off the top with each weekly water change, and it covers 1/3-1/2 of the top again a week later. I figure that it's using lots of extra nutrient out of the water column!

~Bruce

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.