The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone; I am currently 1 year into my 1st plant tank. 55 Gal. VERY HEAVILY PLANTED with all Anubias and Java Fern species, and 2 marimos. Moderate to slightly heavy fish stock. Have always had no measurable Ammonia or Nitrites, Nitrates 80-100 ppm.(cant help that, there in my source water) PH 8.0, GH 300(or more)ppm., KH only 60-70 ppm. 50% weekly water changes. Filtration; fluval 306 canister and AquaClear 70 HOB and internal UV(mean green machine) Temp. 76-78. Finally onto my problem; The original stock lighting are 2 15W, 18inch, T8's (until I can afford to upgrade) Recently had to replace tubes, the new Aqueons are from a diff. Mfg. country than the originals. The replacements were an AWFUL green/yellow hue, couldnt stand to look at them (full spectrum daylight) Tried other Aqueons, same thing. Too bad, the 1st ones were nice, clear and bright. Tried Zoomed florasuns, WAY too dark. Finally went to Home Depot and got Phillips Natural Light 5000K, 590 Lumens, color index 92. Over the past month my broader leaf Anubias seem to wilt, just not looking good. will begin dosing comprehensive. Cant use excel or Co2 because of low KH. Can anyone reccomend a brand or type of tube (T8) that works and look better than Aqueon or Zoomed. Any and all suggestions or info would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank You.....:help:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't think there are any T8's that work well for a planted aquarium. I just bought a dual t5 light on eBay for $36.00 for my 10 gallon. I'm sure you can find a good one for your 55 on there. But I would stay away from T8's.

Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
18" bulbs/fxtur came/w the tank ? Try Loew's and look for GE "Daylight" bulbs. They
should say 6500K on the package. Put one of them with one 10,000K bulb.
http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-su.../zoo-med-ocean-sun-10000k-t-8-light-bulb.html
That is a good one but you might find it cheaper on say Amazon.
Or use a Hagen Power Glo for the second bulb. I do T8's in one of my tanks and
have tried quite a few of them. The Zoo Med Flora sun would be too dim for that tank.
But it's a plant bulb which is usually used in conjunction/w the 10,000K bulb.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts