The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have been waiting and waiting to set up another planted tank in my 30g tall but due to an upcoming move I was reluctant to get it all set up only to tear it down 2 months later to move it.

So in order to scratch the planted tank itch I set myself up with a 2.5g mini tank. I purchased the tank for 13 bucks the light for 12 , which is a desk lamp with a cfl 6500k bulb, some driftwood and gravel I had lying about and a bit of java fern . No plans to filter it or heat it yet but that could be in the near future! I'm just going to let the fern grow in for a bit then the fauna. I may have to switch to something else if the fern decides to take off, the Java ferns I have had in the past would fill this little tank right up!

As for eventual Fauna I was thinking 1 beta or maybe a few shirmp. The 2.5 might be a bit on the small side for a betta

Any comments or tips are appreciated

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
It's off too a good start! I was going to recommend some Marsilea, as a carpet plant, but your gravel is really large, so I don't know how well that would work out. Marsilea is a fern, technically, so if you added it it would still be a "fern tank." Nonetheless, the tank is looking pretty good. The only thing I'd recommend is trying to carpet the tank, to cover up that gravel. Maybe a moss carpet?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was wanting to use black sand but couldn't find any today so I went with what I had on hand. I was trying to focus on just the fern and the drifwood
and didn't want to get to carried away with the carpet plants. Is the large gravel distracting and would the black sand look better?

I had some Java moss hitch hike in on the Java fern so a carpet may be in the future that or a marimo carpet. updates to com as they happen!

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
To me I guess the large gravel is distracting, but what matters is how you feel about it. If you're okay with it, then don't change a thing! It doesn't look ugly or anything, it's just slightly distracting. At least it's not clown-puke gravel, lol.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No certainly no clown puke gravel around here! It will most likely be temporary till I get my black sand. Substrate isn't too much of an issue since nothing is going to be planted in it. The pictures meake the gravel look alot bigger than it actually is too!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.