The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any idea for some low-tech and easy plants? I'm currently using just plain gravel but will probably add some kind of root tabs or something of that nature down the line. And more than likely liquid C02.

I have picked up a few Crypt Wendtii, Ludwigia, and I'd like to get some Rotala Indica. But I'm not really sure what else to go with. Any recommendations (besides java fern/anubias)? I've tried several plants that are supposedly easy growers in the past such as Dwarf Sag and Water Sprite and they either turned to mush or just never grew, and that was with Flourite Substrate. Also had the same problem with Amazon Swords.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I really like Bacopa Caroliana. I also really like Alternanthera reneckii roseafolia, it doesnt stay as red as it does in high light mine has still stayed fairly red and has mad an attractive addition to my low tech tanks. I really like amazon swords, for me the key has been a root tab next to each one.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'd definitely like to try out Bacopa. Only problem is I've really never seen it available anywhere around here. I've never had success with Swords, even with root tabs or eco complete substrate.

People have suggested Jungle Vals to me before as well. Same thing. Never had success with them and they never grew.

The only plants I've ever been able to grow successfully are Java Ferns, Crypt Wendtii and Rotala Indica lol

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I think you have a misunderstanding about Fluorite.
It gives NO nutrients to the plants. It is a fairly porus substance which CAN absorb
nutrients from the water when they are high in volumn in the water.
Then when the water is low on the nutrients the Fluorite can release them back into
the water. Makes the low periods between adding ferts to be not as low as they could be. But the Fluorite adds no nutrients of it's own.
When you place a plant in your yard it has almost unlimited nutrients from the ground. But place that same plant in a pot and then you must add nutrients(eventually).
You may not be having any luck/w the plants you mentioned because they just don't have enough nutrients to live. Amazon Swords use up massive amounts of nutrients.
Eco Complete does NOT give any nutrients to the plants either.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
I have picked up a few Crypt Wendtii, Ludwigia, and I'd like to get some Rotala Indica. I've tried Dwarf Sag and Water Sprite and they either turned to mush or just never grew
Probably low on KNO3(potassium nitrate). I have found Spectrum stump remover, which can be found in hardware store in some states, is 100% KNO3. You want nitrates 10-20ppm. You can get it tested at local pet store. Also Seachem Equilibrium very good. May find it on evilbay cheap.

For the crypts I would get API root tabs for they have more iron than other tabs.

Which ludwiga did you get? Ludwiga and Rotala Indica will need iron sulfate and liquid excel.

Excel alternative is Metricide or Cidex. Not cidex odt. Excel has 1.5% Glut. A quart is approx $25 on Ebay. At dealmed.com 1 gallon $18.20. shipping $9.99
Formla
glut = (1.5 x container)/ cidex glut%
glut = (1.5% * 100ml)/2.5%.
500ml bottle = 300ml of 2.5%(Metricide 28) + 200ml of water
500ml bottle = 100ml of metricide 28 + 400ml of water. Dose 30ml daily in a 20g tank. Can dose every other day.

I think Pygmy Chain and marsilia minuta would look nice.

Here is a list of low light plants

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.