The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my container pond that has been set up for about a year. Filtration is just the plants and a small whisper filter that is more for water movement then filtration. Inhabitants are 15+ white cloud minnows. Started with just five a year ago and these are the ones that survived winter and bred.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
A wooden box would be nice or maybe some bricks stacked around it. If you're going to go as far as making a brace around it, might as well get a 50g tub at walmart or Big Lots. Big lots has red and blue 50g Sterilite tubs for $19.99

BTW, I picked up the same filter last night to clear up a foggy new tank. Great little filter.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Didn't know Anacharis flowered. I picked up a bundle a few days ago. I'll be getting a few more bundles once I transfer everything to the new container.

The flowers are pretty but they don't last long. Anacharis grows like a weed and even if you start out with a couple of stems it will take over quickly. I have some stems that are over two feet long.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you put on some Marvin Gaye and shed a few tears :icon_cry:

Tub is looking great. The bowing of the sides would drive me crazy though.

Haha I meant more feedings. The bowing bugs me to but I hope to upgrade this tub soon so I'm just dealing with it for now

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Go to costco or home depot and pick up a 30g heavy duty plastic half barrel. Costco has them for $15.99 right now. Ive also seen them at Big Lots for $19.99. Home depot has a huge decorative 24" plastic planter for $24.99. Better yet, Tractor Supply has this 110g TUFF Stuff water trough for only $59.99

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp...ory_rn=&top_category=&urlLangId=&cm_vc=-10005

Seriously, anything that will keep you from adding a wooden enclosure to an already tired and weak tub.

btw, have you lost any fry through that filters intake slots? I'm afraid my Guppy fry will get sucked up once my females breed.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Go to costco or home depot and pick up a 30g heavy duty plastic half barrel. Costco has them for $15.99 right now. Ive also seen them at Big Lots for $19.99. Home depot has a huge decorative 24" plastic planter for $24.99. Better yet, Tractor Supply has this 110g TUFF Stuff water trough for only $59.99

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp...ory_rn=&top_category=&urlLangId=&cm_vc=-10005

Seriously, anything that will keep you from adding a wooden enclosure to an already tired and weak tub.

btw, have you lost any fry through that filters intake slots? I'm afraid my Guppy fry will get sucked up once my females breed.

I don't really want to get a new tub because everything is established in this one now and I think it will do fine with support. I'm sure a couple of fry have been lost to the filter but the flow is not very strong and most of the fry stay away from the filter. I don't now of any way to cover the filter intake that wouldn't be clogged quickly so I just leave it uncovered and still have a fairly good survival rate.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How do you keep this algae free, I attempted an outdoor pond tank in a 20long. But within a week it was green. I did water changes and scrubbed it, still couldn't control it.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk

It's been up for about a year now and for probably the first 7 months it was slightly green. I don't do any water changes and top off when it gets to low. I think the key is to have a lot of fast growing plants and not to much light. I have tons of Anacharis covering the surface and I think they keep the water clean as well as produce oxygen because I always see them pearling when there is direct sun. One problem could have been that you used a fish tank so light could get in every side not just the surface. If you try again I would recommend a stock tank or barrel instead of a tank.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.