The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hows this sound?75 gallon firemouth cichlids as a center piece,as for plants vals in the back and around the sides, driftwood with java moss and stone with java fern.any input or suggestions would be helpfull.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I don't know much about firemouths, but I'm hoping to do something similiar with tanganyikans. What lights are you planning on using? Substrate?

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
I've had bad luck with moss and cichlids. give it a try though.

java ferns are great > the narrow leaf java fern is really nice. even my mbuna cichlids won't eat it.

there are LOTS of other really nice s.american cichlids that would combine nicely with firemouths. you could use sand as substrate and add some geophagus. i love that look.

·
Registered
144 Posts
If you get geos you'll have to do somehting to keep your plants from being uprooted. A lot of people use pots and put a few stones around them. I have geos in my tank (S.jurupari and Geo. sp. Red Head) and they do a whole lot of sand sifting looking for food. I have fake plants in this tank and they'll uproot the little ones now and again.

I'm not sure if firemouths will be fine with your plants or not. Some S/A cichlids are especially fond of plants. I know that a planted tank with a Severum is difficult at best. My gold Sev is constantly trying to eat my fake plants. I'm not saying it can't be done, just do some reading before buying. www.cichlid-forum.com will have a lot of good info.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't know much about firemouths, but I'm hoping to do something similiar with tanganyikans. What lights are you planning on using? Substrate?
I had a 120 gallon planted Tanganyikan tank. Unfortunately, the house sitter didn't notice that the filter clogged when I was out of town and I lost all the fish. (Except for the Synodontis petricola, oddly enough) Here's some bad pictures of the tank now:

It thrives on neglect. It has several Anubias, and I pull out handfuls of java moss every month or so. It's lit by 2 old 40w bulbs and has small gravel for substrate. Now it's housing some platies (and the Synodontis!) and I just bought some Rainbows to put in there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.