The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I cant really answer to a great degree of certainty but I believe riccia will need a high tech tank to thrive.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Moss is the classic low-light carpet plant. Tied to steel mesh or something similar.

Depending on how much light you have, you might try HC or dwarf hairgrass. (I like the "belem" type of hair grass - so short you really never have to trim it. And overall better behaved than its taller, straighter brethren.)

I know some people say HC and DHG won't grow well without high light and CO2, but that has not been my experience. They don't actually need a lot of CO2. They just don't compete for CO2 well with faster growing plants.

So if you're growing HC or DHG, and don't want to inject CO2, you need to keep them with other slow-growing plants like anubias, java fern, mosses, etc. They will do fine then. Floating plants are also okay, like red root floaters, salvinia, and such. They get their CO2 from the air, so don't compete with the submersed plants for it.

They will grow more slowly without high light and CO2. I would do a dry start for a HC or DHG carpet in a low-tech tank. It will grow and spread faster emersed. Once you have the coverage you want, you can flood the tank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.