The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am fortunate enough to be getting a free 125g aquarium through a friend, and yes it still holds water. I currently am running a 65g, medium to high light high tech tank. As well as a high tech nano, 5.5g. It's been a long time since I set up a low tech tank. I started this hobby with a 20 extra tall, T8 lighting no co2 etc. But that was 6-7 years ago. And even at 31 my memory of how I did it is long gone. I think I fall in the category of I know too much.

I have never done a tank this large before. And given that I have a 4 month old this tank must be on the cheap. So I am creating this thread for a) a central location to see large low tech tanks, and b) to try and jump start the memory on the old ways to do things, and c) give everyone a chance to show off what they have going on

So please post pics, specs (filtration, lighting substrate, etc.), fert regiment, flora and fauna. Preferably 75+ gallons

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Naturally I'm going to suggest that a large tank like that would be an ideal showcase for a low-tech discus display tank.

Here's a couple of set-ups of my 75 gal low-tech discus tanks in which I use 2 AC 110 HOB filters, pool filter sand substrate (with root tab ferts, complemented with occasional dosing of macro & micro liquid ferts), and planted with hardy, easily growing plants that do well in the higher discus temps. Lighting is 2 X 39 watt T5-HO bulbs on for 7 hrs./day.
Plants are various sword varieties (Echinodorus), Anubias, Crypts, Lotuses (Nymphaea), Ludwigia, Hygrophilas, Jumbo Vals, and a couple of other hardy growers:
Besides discus, I have generally kept Cardinal Tetras, Corydoras, Rummy-nose Tetras, Rasboras, and a few others from time to time.

http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h357/discuspaul/Sept2011
http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h357/discuspaul/3RedSnakeSkins
http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h357/discuspaul/redrubys

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the stock list is already picked out. My 65 is currently stocked with a few too many predatory fish. Trying to get back to the heavily planted tank it once was. Hard to to that when my belly crawler pike eats ottos cause he thinks they taste good.

The plan for the 125 is mini pred/Southy cichlid/geo tank. low tech lightly planted tank along the back with river rock stopping diggers from up rooting everything. Wide open center for geos and hidden PVC pipe for caves

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have quite the list already

Belly crawler pike cichlid
Leopard ctentipoma
School of pictus cats
Sajica cichlid

And that's just what I already have. Going to add a small group of santanoperca leucosticta. Once everything is established

1 - 6 of 6 Posts