The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have not had a planted tank in 10 years or more! Got into reefing and then had to shut down my reef tank when we moved in 2019 and haven't had anything since. My wife had the idea to get our 3 year old a fish for her bday coming up and of course, the aquarium bug bit and I want more than a fishbowl.

I bought a JBJ 10 gallon all-in-one setup and I need some advice on some hardy, low maintenance plants and livestock. I would prefer not to upgrade the light either. Any recommendations? Especially plants, since I am not sure what can thrive on a 9W LED like the one the tank comes with. I was using T5s in my last planted tank (also low tech) and I was able to keep java fern, amazon swords, anubia, moss balls ,etc.

Any advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." Gandalf: Lord of the Rings
318 Posts
Not a plant expert but the plants u listed, I think would do ok. For live fish I would do, a trio of guppies and some corydoras. The guppies will breed and add color and excitement to the tank, and the corydoras will add action to the bottom. You could also do a mix of tetras and danios, but to me, they are not as colorful or fun as guppies.

Sent from my KFONWI using Tapatalk

·
Registered
400 Posts
I would go with a Spongebob Pineapple House,then surround it with some Sagittaria or even Sword Plants for a jungly look and then some glowfish to keep her interest. Kids love ****** loaches ( man I hate that name,so racist) also..the wiggle they have and I guess cute faces. Skirt tetras tend to be extra hardy also to mistakes.
Avoid like the plague Tiger Barbs or Serpae tetras..not even free! No "Shark" anything. Platys make the best livebearers..but guppies are good too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You could also consider a betta and some snails, or a shoal of small tetras and shrimp. As for plants, you can make a really simple and easy tank by Gorilla gluing java fern and anubias to pebbles and scattering them around the tank between other river rock formations. I have also found floating plants grow well, even in these type of tanks. Plus, the remove most the "bad stuff" from the water.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nice Aquarium, It looks like my 5 gallon Fluval Spec. I have kept a banana plant, Hottonia Palustris, Java Fern, Crypt of some sort, Bacopa Monnieri, Water Wisteria, Brazilian Pennywort, and Anubias Petite and Coffeefolia in my tank. They all grew well. A good source for information and plants is Aquarium Co Op's website and YouTube channel.

I keep a Betta and a snail in mine but with a ten gallon you have much more choice. Search 10 gallon stocking ideas on YouTube, it is really helpful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.