The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi!

I have read the forum for many time but I never written here.

In first, sorry for my english, I'm from Madrid, Spain, and I don't speak it so fine.

I have had any planted tanks in past, and they were "High Tech Tanks", but now I am starting my first low tech tank, and I read a lot of information in american webs because in my country it isn't a very popular tank configuration.

This is the LT proyect:

Dimensions: 80x40x45cm (31x16x18in), 144 l (38g)
Light: 2x 24w Phillips HO 865 1650 lm, 6 hours.
Filtration: Aquaclear 70 (micromec).
Substratum: ground (perlite+spargum peat+aqualit+help soil+NPK) capped whit black volcanic gravel.

Plants:
Anubia barteri var barteri
Anubia barteri var nana
Bacopa caroliana
Blyxa japonica
Cryptocorine Becketii
Cryptocorine wentii brown
Cryptocoryne spiralis/albida
Cryptocoryne Crispatula v. "Balansae"
Crytocorine coslata
Cryptocoryne wentii red
Microsorum pteropus
Microsorum pteropus "Mini"
Eleocharis parvula

Wildlife:
Colisa Chuna
Trichopsis Pumila
Stiphodon Atropurpureus
Clithon Corona (Sun Snail)
Planorbis corneus (Ramshorn Snail)

2014 may 02 (day 2):

And these are some of my HT past tanks:

I hope to do a good tank with your advices.

Kind regards!

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Welcome to TPT!

You've put together some really gorgous tanks!

I look forward to seeing this tank mature. I'm sure it will be beautiful just like your others.

Why did you decide to try a low tech approach with this tank?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi laura and thanks!

I enjoy creating HT tanks, but they require too much time and HT tanks will always need a reset from time to time... remove, replant, and starts again.

One day, looking for information about lighting and CO2, I read an D.Walstad article, and I discovered LT setting... I after read Tom Barr, and others and I found this forum and I asked to myself if I could to do it too and enjoy the planted tanks slowly.

And I'm here... hoping to learn and to continue delighting me with this amazing hobby.

·
Registered
627 Posts
You'll find that low tech tanks are a bit more challenging with algae. I think your PAR from that light is a bit much without CO2. You might want to check it.

With decreasing the light levels you can Increase the photoperiod. One of the things I like about low tech tanks is I can get away with 12-14 hour photoperiods of lower light. I actually had a very low light tank once where I never turned off the light.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You'll find that low tech tanks are a bit more challenging with algae. I think your PAR from that light is a bit much without CO2. You might want to check it.

With decreasing the light levels you can Increase the photoperiod. One of the things I like about low tech tanks is I can get away with 12-14 hour photoperiods of lower light. I actually had a very low light tank once where I never turned off the light.
The lighting has been my more complex doubt. In 38 gallons, the 24w T5 865 PAR seems too low light, and 48w too much.

I read about it, and some people believe that a longer photoperiod time stimulates algae growing.

I gave a lot of thought to this... I finally decided for two tubes, and decrease the photoperiod time for 6 hours.

If algaes appears (4 days and there aren't algaes in tank), perhaps I could change the lighting setting.

Thanks for your opinion.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Another option if your lighting ends up too much would be to raise the fixture up off the tank.

I missed that you are running 2xT5HO over this tank... and I agree it's probably going to be too much.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another option if your lighting ends up too much would be to raise the fixture up off the tank.

I missed that you are running 2xT5HO over this tank... and I agree it's probably going to be too much.
I believe It is in the limit too. But the lamp hasn't effective reflector and It hasn't glass or metacrilate protector (it's plastic), and I think that It relieves light.

I'll be careful... thanks.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Are you using a HOB filter in your tank? As this will be a non CO2 low tech tank, a HOB will cause too much surface agitation thereby leading to loss of dissolved CO2. IMO a canister filter would be a better option.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Nope, not harmful either.

In some situations surface agitation may raise CO2 levels in tank water and in others it may lower them (depending quite a bit on what's actually in the tank in terms of livestock vs plants)- but in MOST cases, surface agitation on a non-injected tank shouldn't affect the CO2 levels at any stasticially significant level when it comes to plants.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Those are some great tanks. I really enjoy the low tech tanks, I have three ten gallon low tech tanks and a 46 gallon bow front somewhat high tech tank. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Nope, not harmful either.

In some situations surface agitation may raise CO2 levels in tank water and in others it may lower them (depending quite a bit on what's actually in the tank in terms of livestock vs plants)- but in MOST cases, surface agitation on a non-injected tank shouldn't affect the CO2 levels at any stasticially significant level when it comes to plants.
As of now i'm running a canister filter in my tank. I am using excel as my Carbon source. My tank is stocked in excess of 100% with SIX pearl gouramis. I also had two angel fish which i removed and kept in a separate tank. With the angel fish and p. gouramis together, the nitrate level was around 30ppm. I also had a yellow apple snail which I removed because it started feeding on my bacopa. I am planning to add a small sponge filter in my tank for more filtration due to the high bio load. Since I am already using excel, I hope the surface agitation due to the addition of a sponge filter won't affect CO2 levels. What do you say?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.