The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I recently upgraded to 20g long and wanted to set it up as low tech planted tank. (The tank has been cycled)

Two weeks ago, I bought some Anubias nana and Cardinal plant(?) from Petsmart. I put some root tabs and plated them. The first mistake was..I didn't know how to plant them. I tore apart the stems from the ryzome :crying: and planted them. Should I just remove them from the tank? Also, the cardinal plants..they are turning yellow/brown. I don't think they are growing.. Those plants were in plastic bottles.

What's the best way to start a low tech planted tank? Do I need anything else except root tab and good light? Please advise.

Tank: Aqueon 20G long
Lighting: Finnex Fugeray Planted+ 30inch
Filteration: Aquaclear 50
Heater: Hydor 50W
Fertilizer: Seachem Flourish Tab

4 x Peppered Cory
1 x Dwarf Gourami
8 x Neon Tetra
3 x Red Cherry Shrimp

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Please, you will do yourself a very big favor by spending a month or so reading sections of this forum to learn a lot more about what it takes to make a planted tank work. One alternative would be to buy or borrow Diana Walstad's book, Ecology of the Planted Aquarium, and follow her method in its entirety. Or, you could start by reading http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/10-lighting/184368-lighting-aquarium-par-instead-watts.html to get some understanding of how to select an appropriate light fixture for your tank. Then, go to each of the forums and look through the "stickys" at the top of each list of subjects to learn more about substrates, fertilizing, low light tanks, etc. There really is a lot to learn.

Here is a forum topic where exactly what you are trying is discussed - the lighting part of it http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/10-lighting/993785-20-long-lighting-options.html

·
Registered
566 Posts
A couple of things…

1. Find Tom Barr’s or Sundeep’s Low Tech Guide and read them

2. Your lighting is too high. You need to raise your light or get floating plants or put a screen mesh over your tanks if your going to use the Planted Plus + on a low tech tank. The planted + 24/7 would have been a much better option as it has a dimmer function.

3. For Ferts- Go to Nilocg.com and buy his DIY EI Fertilizer
Package and also get the GH booster. It has the dosing recommendation based on 20 gallons. Just read the directions. It will be very easy and last you a very long time. 32 bucks shipped. Much cheaper than Seachem’s products. Root tabs are only needed for root feeders like amazon swords or crypts.

4. Look up info on Seachem’s Excel. It is a liquid from a carbon. My suggestion would be to buy the large bottle and do 2x the recommended dosage everyday. Do not do the 5x dosage the bottle says to do on water change days. You would be dosing 4ml’s everyday. Any pharmacy has ml droppers for free.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts