The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So setup this tank about a month ago (first planted tank) and was looking for suggestions and thoughts of what I have so far.

The two plants in the back right currently are fake and were added temporarily to give the fish more places to hide while I figure out a decent background plant. I am thinking of getting something similar to the red one in the back right corner any suggestions?

Also looking at getting Ludwigia and
Dwarf Hairgrass or Micro Sword to fill in some of the foreground. But before I do that I would most likely grab the Finnex Planted+ light for more light demanding plant. And I will have to figure out what I am doing with my 2.7 gallon shrimp tank before I make a purchase on the light.

Tank details:
  • 10 Gallon
  • Single T8 - Full Spectrum Lighting (Currently run about 11-12 hours a day)
  • 6 Neon Tetras
  • 3 Cherry Shrimp
  • 4 Black Phantom Tetras
  • Gravel Substrate
  • Anubias, Java Fern, Some small swords from Petco

I dose Excel every other day if I remember and Leaf Zone about once a week.

I am still looking at how to improve the scape so any suggestions are welcomed!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I would give this setup a couple months before changing the light. Maybe even add those more demanding plants in small quantities and see if they survive. That is a shallow tank and I think a planted+ would flood it with algae. I bet a finnex stingray would be MORE than enough light and save you some buckage.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome thanks, good to know!

I will have to say the plants have really in the last week or so started to settle and have actually started to sprout new leaves. I can really see growth starting to move with the Anubias and the Swords but not as much in the ferns. A while back I split the original swords to get some of these smaller ones I have and the seemed to struggle for a bit after that.

I try to put root tabs in I usually spread them between the plants rather than right under but don't know if the plants will get the same nutrients.

Also thinking of adding some more elements into the scape like some more driftwood and obviously more plants for a larger lush feel. Unfortunately in my area they dont have a huge selection but for the long memorial day weekend I will be heading up to a more stocked area in which I have more to choose from.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.