The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I'm new to this and don't know all the appropriate lingo so please bear with me :)

I'm starting a planted filtered 10 gallon tank with loads of help from my boyfriend, who is much more experienced at this than I am and, as far as I'm concerned, is the fish whisperer lol ;) It'll be my very first tank and I'm sooo excited!! :D

I've started with a large piece of driftwood (see below) and my plan is to plant dwarf baby tears at the base of the driftwood and all over the rest of the tank to give the illusion of grass. Also, I'm planning on putting a few rocks in there and attaching some java moss to them. I also wanted to plant some wisterias, but I'm not sure where yet...too ambitious? As far as fishies go, I plan on keeping red cherry shrimp and a small school of white clouds (5-6) in this tank. I'm open to any and all suggestions/critiques. Thanks! :)

Progress pics to come soon!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
First of all, dwarf baby tears is a very high maintenance plant; you need at least 40 mm of PAR (about low to medium lighting) and CO2. Pressurized is the best for growth, but DIY used in conjunction with excel works okay too. I cannot stress how important CO2 is for HC to grow. I have this plant in my 10 gallon, but I only dose Excel. It doesn't die, but it grows REALLY slow. It's been about 5 months since I planted the HC but I am nowhere near a carpet. Fertilizers are also pretty important. Just like any other plant, you need to dose macros and micro nutrients. The macros are N (nitrogen), P (phosphorus) and K (potassium), and the micros are Fe (iron), B (boron), and a lot more that I still don't know. There are two types of fertilizers--liquid and dry. Since you have just begun I would suggest liquid ferts because they are so much easier to dose. Look for the Seachem Flourish line (Seachem Flourish Comprehensive, Seachem Potassium, Seachem Nitrogen, etc.)

Here's a tip: when you plant HC, drain all the water first, so it will be less likely to float back up

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.