The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I'm hoping someone can help me out here.

The regulator is a green leaf atomic v3 regulator. It's hooked up to a 10lb tank. For some reason the working pressure sits around 2 bars. I have the tank valve completely open and the regulator is have tightened to the tank as per the instructions. The solenoid is also giving me issues. I hear it shut off when the timer kicks off and when it's off is cool the touch but it doesn't shut off the co2. I've tried taking it apart and cleaning it but it didn't help. Anyone else encounter this before?

·
Super Moderator
12,118 Posts
The working pressure at 30 PSI sounds normal to me.

For the solenoid, how long are you waiting after it closes? Usually, some residual CO2 will still continue to flow for a bit.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi Darkblade. Oh silly me. I thought 2 bars was less than 30psi

I wait hours. It runs through the night and is still running the following morning. In fact it's running right now and it's been unplugged for the last 2 days.

·
Super Moderator
12,118 Posts
Hi Darkblade. Oh silly me. I thought 2 bars was less than 30psi

I wait hours. It runs through the night and is still running the following morning. In fact it's running right now and it's been unplugged for the last 2 days.
2 bar is equal to 30 PSI, according to Google.

For your solenoid, if it is unplugged and gas is still coming out even after 2 days, then I would suspect a dirty solenoid. Since you say you already tried to clean it (I assume by blowing it out with some gusts of CO2 from the cylinder), it might be a broken solenoid. Is the coil still energizing when you plug it in (do you hear an audible click)?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Yes I still hear it click and it's warm to the touch after a few minutes.

I tried cleaning it manually again I also cranked the needle valve all the way up and blew it clean while still on the tank. Still no difference. I did that just before I left to work. I'm going to be home in a few hours so I'm going to check it again. I did notice that if the needle value is completely open it sounds like it's working I don't hear co2 coming through at all. But when I turn it down to the setting I use it doesn't completely close. I didn't test it with soap I was in a hurry so I couldn't wait to see if it eventually stopped.

I did notice a lot of grey material in there when I was cleaning it. Some kind of grease or lubricant I think. Is that normal?

Today I installed an inline atomizer. I also took the solenoid apart again. I cleaned it out again and put it back together. I also blew out the tank. I put everything together and tried it. I'm getting a lot of micro bubbles when it's turned on but when I turn off the solenoid I don't see any bubbles at all. It seems to be working. I don't have a bubble counter so I can't say if it's completely off. I intend to get a bubble counter to find out for sure.

·
Super Moderator
12,118 Posts
I did notice a lot of grey material in there when I was cleaning it. Some kind of grease or lubricant I think. Is that normal?
The gray material is probably pipe compound (pipe dope). If there is a lot, then it might have been applied improperly, and is drying, flaking off, and then subsequently getting stuck in your solenoid.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys i appreciate the help. I haven't purchased a bubble counter yet but after several days of running this tank with the drop checker lime green and no signs of stress from the fish I'm thinking to just leave it alone.

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
Thanks guys i appreciate the help. I haven't purchased a bubble counter yet but after several days of running this tank with the drop checker lime green and no signs of stress from the fish I'm thinking to just leave it alone.
Where the bubble counter helps is where you haven't used it yet. Now that you have a satisfactory flow rate, next time you have to change anything, like mess with the working pressure or replace the cylinder, it would be helpful to have a visual aid to compare "before" and "after", so you spend a lot less time tweaking the needle valve.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.