The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started this thread in the equipment section, questioning a cheap pH meter I purchased to get readings on my tanks that was below 6.0 (API liquid low end). My results surprised me and wanted to know if it's realistic for survival with such low pH:

Here's my latest update. Apparently, I had 7.0 & 10.0 buffer solutions - recalibrated using the 7.0. Used the liquid test to test tap water which was at 7.4, meter was pretty close. Then confirmed with tank that was reading 6.4 per API liquid test. On to the tanks (below 6.0) to get readings. One was reading 4.2 (tanks has CRS, PFRs, albino long fin pleco, and plants, aquasoil amazonia) & another read 4.4 (betta, 2 ottos, plants, reg lfs gravel). Is this reasonable and surviving in this low pH? No ammonia, nitrate, nitrite.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, definitely on the CRS, 10% daily due to TDS at 240 - 270, trying to target 200. Surprised with this tank, 'cause it was 6.4 for over a year, not much major changes except for added population of more shrimps (~15 in 18cube tank).

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Aquasoil Amazona is supposed to lower the pH, but I don't think it should ever drop it down to 4.4. Do you have any wood in that tank? Tannic acid could leach out of the wood to drop the pH, but I didn't think it could drop it that far.

This is another good reason to do weekly 50% or so water changes. Then, no matter what is causing the low pH you keep it under control.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts