The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My tap water is around pH 7, but with Fluval Stratum, my pH is around 6.2.

My fish are happy, but I worry about my nerite snails. I think their shells are getting eroded.

My tank is a low tech tank, but I'm thinking about buying FZONE aquarium CO2 generator from Amazon. I know the addition of CO2 would further lower the pH. Is there a way to raise the pH to 7 with Fluval Stratum and CO2? Or should I re-home my nerite snails?

Thank you for helping!

·
Registered
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
428 Posts
A quick google search would indicate that they are already in water not great at 6.2 pH. I would rehome them for sure if you're going to add co2 to it's fullest extent. and if they already look as though they are eroding then I would also pull them from that tank.

Fighting and controlling pH and your water parameters is not easy. Generally, I say find out what your parameters are then stock the tank accordingly.

·
Registered
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
428 Posts
Are there any other snails I can try? I need some to control algae.
Honestly. I like the little pond/bladder snails. But mini ramshorn should be good. Maybe regular Rams Horn. I doubt Mysterys will work, but you could find out. Though they don't do a whole lot of great cleaning in my experience.

·
Super Moderator
15,889 Posts
CO2 likely isn't impacting snails at all, as it does not impact water hardness. The pH of your tank only seems to change because of the temporary carbonic acid created from CO2 injection. It's likely water hardness and abrupt parameter changes with fert dosing. (Though, lots of people here on the forum keep Nerites with CO2)

Ramshorn Snails will experience the same shell erosion but they're much more tolerant of extreme parameter variability and can even withstand quite a bit of ammonia and nitrite.

But if you're trying to control algae, snails aren't the answer. It's getting everything into balance so you don't have tons of algae to begin with. Could you tell us more about your specific lighting situation, ferts and other water parameters? What's the volume of your tank? What's the livestock situation? How much and how frequently do you feed? Could you post photos?

·
Registered
Caridina sp., Betta Brownorum, Trichopsis pumila, Desmopuntius rhomboocella, T. pauciperforatum
50 Posts
CO2 likely isn't impacting snails at all, as it does not impact water hardness.
Right, it's not really the low pH causing the erosion so much as the soft water associated with low pH. As @somewhatshocked pointed out, the change in pH due to CO2 injection does not impact hardness.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts