The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tap water used to be high across the board, but they’ve been trying to make it less horrible tasting and now the two are borderline low-low and the PH is almost in the ‘very high’ category. (I used water tests, but I’m pants at numbers and forgot those.) I need to look into how much RO units cost, but in case that doesn’t work out…what am I supposed to do with water like that?

· Registered
599 Posts
The high pH is probably from NaOH that the water company adds because acidic water will corrode the pipes. My tap water is the same and my TDS is low as well. I add Ca and Mg to bring my GH up and rejoice in the low Kh. I probably couldn't breed fish that require very acidic water, but overall it's pretty great as tap water goes!

· Registered
4,655 Posts
My tap water used to be high across the board, but they’ve been trying to make it less horrible tasting and now the two are borderline low-low and the PH is almost in the ‘very high’ category. (I used water tests, but I’m pants at numbers and forgot those.) I need to look into how much RO units cost, but in case that doesn’t work out…what am I supposed to do with water like that?
If I were you, I'd get a liquid testing kit if you don't already have them and then take some readings and report back. 'Very High' doesn't really mean much. Actual numbers are needed before we can provide any advice.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you mean to say you have low GH and KH with high PH?
Dyslexia strikes again! No, I meant low PH and KH, high GH.

If I were you, I'd get a liquid testing kit if you don't already have them and then take some readings and report back. 'Very High' doesn't really mean much. Actual numbers are needed before we can provide any advice.
I said I used one… But anyway, I used the Fluval liquid test and I looked up the manual for it. PH was between 6.5 and 6. GH was 180. KH was about 70.

· Registered
4,655 Posts
I said I used one… But anyway, I used the Fluval liquid test and I looked up the manual for it. PH was between 6.5 and 6. GH was 180. KH was about 70.
This is definitely why we need numbers.

6 to 6.5 ph is not high, its definitely not very high. It's actually considered acidic (as opposed to neutral or alkaline).

Good news for you is this is a very good ph for a wide variety of fish and plants. The same goes for your gh/kh.

The only exceptions would be if you were trying to keep extremely low ph fish.

By contrast for example my ph changes seasonally from 7 to about 8.2. I struggle with certain species of fish like bettas but I'm still able to keep a variety of other fish like angel fish, rams, tetras, etc etc. You on the other hand wouldn't have my issues with bettas if your ph is stable.

If I were you, I definitely would not be worried about RO units with parameters like what you have mentioned.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

· Registered
463 Posts
This is definitely why we need numbers.

6 to 6.5 ph is not high, its definitely not very high. It's actually considered acidic (as opposed to neutral or alkaline).

Good news for you is this is a very good ph for a wide variety of fish and plants. The same goes for your gh/kh.

The only exceptions would be if you were trying to keep extremely low ph fish.

By contrast for example my ph changes seasonally from 7 to about 8.2. I struggle with certain species of fish like bettas but I'm still able to keep a variety of other fish like angel fish, rams, tetras, etc etc. You on the other hand wouldn't have my issues with bettas if your ph is stable.

If I were you, I definitely would not be worried about RO units with parameters like what you have mentioned.

Let us know if you have any other questions.
OP has low-ish pH and KH but GH is on the higher end. Which actually sounds perfect to me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts