The Planted Tank Forum banner

Low-medium light suggestions, need help

466 Views 0 Replies 1 Participant Last post by  dissealguem
Hey all, I'm leaving my tank with a sitter for 3 weeks (it will be fertilized, monitored, etc). I've been struggling with plants and am trying to find something that will work in my tank. I want to put new plants to increase plant mass before I leave, since it's pretty sparse right now.

Here it is today:

Tank: 5.5gal
Light: 2x Fluval 13W CFL (3 on, 3 off, 4 on)
Ferts: root tabs (in Eco-Complete), Flourish, Excel, N, P, K, Fe (all Seachem, according to their recommended schedule)
Fauna: RCS

The saga is, 2 months ago, I started with:
- bacopa caroliniana
- heminathus micranthemoides (pearlweed)
- rotala rotundifolia
The bacopa and HM rotted. I got ludwigia repens, anubias petite, more HM. The ludwigia has mostly died off and the HM is "adjusting" - we'll see how it plays out, but I really don't like how it looks, so am tempted to pull it out when I come back. Maybe replace with a marsilea sp. or hydrocotyle japan... (thoughts, if any?)

I've accepted that pretty much only low light plants will grow in that back left corner. In my dreams, I want something big and leafy, both to contrast the rotala and hide the filter/heater (soon to be added).

Been thinking about:
- crypt wendtii green (low light, but sparse)
- hygrophila corymbosa 'siamensis' (love the look; might be too big, maybe not enough light)
- hygrophila polysperma (too big?)

Aaaand that's all I've got. Sorry it's such a small list, I'm really at a loss. Any ideas? I'm willing to try more "not-so-low-light" plants that might have a chance of surviving.

Thanks for any help you can give. I'd love to hear experiences you've had with small or medium-light tanks growing these plants or others.
See less See more
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.