The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a 90g flat hex tank in my office at the moment, which i want to add more lush plants too but using the least amount of fert maintenance as possible.

I was thinking of using Osmocote Plus caps for NPK macros and Seachem Flourish comprehensive for micros. Will this be an effective combo?

My substrate is 1-2" of fine gravel (Caribsea Rio Grande). Lighting is 4x 54w T5HO and Co2 reactor is running at 1bps.

I currently have several amazon swords, anubias nana's, java moss and wysteria whch are fairly easy plants to grow.

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
12,113 Posts
A good amount of light over your aquarium.

As freph suggested, I would also buy bulk chemicals and make your own solutions of fertilizers and dose.

If you want to automate your dosing, you could get some peristaltic pumps as well (of course, that is if money is no issue; they can be a little pricey)

·
Registered
291 Posts
A good amount of light over your aquarium.

If you want to automate your dosing, you could get some peristaltic pumps as well (of course, that is if money is no issue; they can be a little pricey)
if money is an issue get 1/2, 1/4, and 1/8 teaspoon scoops. Takes 30 seconds every other day to scoop dose a tank. If you want to avoid the weekly water change (many do) start dosing at 1/2 Estimative Index levels. I would just recommend an occasional nitrate test if you aren't doing regular water changes

·
Registered
308 Posts
You have a lot of light. The issue here is that light drives plant growth. With more light you are pushing the plant to grow faster, requiring more CO2 and more ferts. If you want a low maintenance fertilizing regime, you need to find the appropriate amount of light. As a starting point I would run 2 bulbs for 4 hours and then a 3-4 hour burst of all 4 bulbs for total photoperiod of 8 hours. This should be enough for good plant growth while helping keep algae in check.

Osmocote caps in the substrate will be fine for the Amazon Swords as they are root and foliar feeders.

Anubias and Java moss are slow growers so you will probably be fine without adding macros to the water column. Fish waste + food will probably be enough. You do have livestock correct?

Wisteria - not sure on this one but from what I remember it is not too demanding.

Hi

I have a 90g flat hex tank in my office at the moment, which i want to add more lush plants too but using the least amount of fert maintenance as possible.

I was thinking of using Osmocote Plus caps for NPK macros and Seachem Flourish comprehensive for micros. Will this be an effective combo?

My substrate is 1-2" of fine gravel (Caribsea Rio Grande). Lighting is 4x 54w T5HO and Co2 reactor is running at 1bps.

I currently have several amazon swords, anubias nana's, java moss and wysteria whch are fairly easy plants to grow.

Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.