The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some suggestion for really low light, low maintenance plants....already have java ferns and java moss....looking for something I can plant in the sub...any suggestions?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, correct, but my driftwood is alreayd covered in java ferns....i want something I can plant in the substrate, from what I know, anubias do best out of the sub

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Low Light Plants

Hello Gafi...

Anubias is a good plant. You can simply set it down on the substrate and it will grow. Not one you want to plant. I have several, large, low light tanks and one of my favs is Pennywort. A very fast grower in lower light. Rotala and Ludwigia are also good choices.

There are varieties of Cryptocoryne that do well in lower light too. I have more than a dozen different plants I grow in my low tech tanks and with less than a watt of light per gallon of tank volume.

B

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have several anubias and what I do is take smaller lava rocks that I got at a big box home improvement store (7 lb bag for $5 with most around 1" x 2") and attach the anubias to them. I then push the rock in my substrate so just the rhizome shows. It anchors the plant but still allows it to grow.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
If your water is a bit on the harder side, Vallisneria are very easy plants to keep. They seem to thrive on neglect. Cryptocorynes are also easy plants to keep.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I don't know how low light your tank is but mine is pretty low light and I love both the bronze wendtti and the crypt parva in my tank. Both will need to be planted into the substrate.

Also, I love wisteria with its bright green color (another plant you can plant into the substrate). The wisteria, java fern, crypt parva and bronze wendtii make for a great effect in my tank.

·
Registered
254 Posts
how do you attach them? string?
I use these tiny no-slip hair elastics (like these although I got mine at a dollar store: http://edance.com.au/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=24 ) They are smaller than my ring finger but stretch enough to go over an orange. They are super easy to use, hold really well, and don't break down like string or thread does. Once the roots have taken hold of the driftwood or rock I jut cut them off.

ETA: I'm not sure how well I explained it so here is a photo:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.