The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking to update the lighting on my 29 gallon aquarium. I want to keep it low tech if possible. Right now I've only got the standard lighting 20 watts fluorescent that came with the aquarium. The plants I've got right now are anubias, crypts, and hygro. They grow, but don't thrive due to the lighting. I've been trying to do research on what lighting would be best, and I've been considering a double fluorescent light fixture and others. What lighting fixtures would everyone recommend?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So each bulb is 18 watts each, totally 36 watts and that breaks down to 1.2 wpg. Would it make a huge difference in the plant growth if I put both the coralife and the standard light that came with the aquarium on the glass hood? I think that should bring the total to 1.9 wpg.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I got the light fixture in about a week ago and so far so good. Right now I've got crypt lutea, wendtii, and undulata, anubias nana, and sunset hygro, all of which are doing well. Though a week is hardly long enough to see a vast difference, between the lighting, I was thinking of adding another background plant. There's a spot in the back corner that's a bit empty. I was thinking of an Amazon sword or something similar. Would this work with the light conditions I have or is there another plant that would work better?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I had an Amazon sword in a 60 gallon and it got to big. A mellon sword may work it does not get as tall but mine got to a 9" circle and 6" tall. for a back ground plant some kind of vail plant would work and are easy to find.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, so I managed to get my hands on a camera. Hope this picture is easy to see. The hygro sunset is hiding behind fake driftwood, so it's hard to see, but everything else is pretty straight forward.

·
Tírëd Äßóût ╦σ RÉ├írë.
4,777 Posts
As Tom Barr suggests Low light low maintenance....I never believed this until 3 weeks back...I had this 29 gal tank with whatever the light(20 watts) comes with it in storage and some 25-30 lbs play sand....so I decided to set up this tank...since I have several tank where plants grows like there is no tomorrow.....this 29 gal will help me to hold the cutting before some one gets it from me instead of trashing the plants...
I set it up and quickly scoop some 20-30 mts from other tank and put there....
I planted what ever plants I trimmed that week in 29 gal. Remember these plants are suppose to thrive in high light tank only...
A Mate came over and said why you want to melt those plants...Instead put Quick sale here in the forum...
I said I wanna try....
its been 3 weeks now every plants are growing perfectly...tho' i have to admit 1 thing here...I am dosing High Fert...double EI dosing method and I am using Micro and Macro same at once...no MWF or TTHURS routine....and addition to that Excel 2 a week and Fe once a week....Everything looks perfectly fine...

Now in this set up I wanna try DBT...and see what happens....
I also noticed that there is no sign of Algae anywhere...

FYI, some plants I have in this set up are L.Cuba, P. stella, L.aromatica. and so on....

Conclusion is that its only a myth...that planted tank need high light....
Please Guys Don't take my word for granted this is only my Experiment....and I love this Forum so sharing what I found out. Please don't ask me stupid question since in some of my post pple has shown their failure,anger and frustration.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So my crypts have started melting...not to the point where they've lost all their leaves or anything but it's noticeable. Is this a result of the new lighting perhaps? I haven't changed any other conditions.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.