The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
@ a rated 600 lumens and 8 1 watt white leds I doubt you can grow anything but moss, hornwort and algae with a 24" deep tank that is 30" across & 18" ftb.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
How about with the standard t8 lighting that came with it, on top as well?
I honestly doubt the t8 has a good enough reflector to bring the light levels to grow low light plants well, even if its paired with the ML double bright 24".

Imo i would opt for a diy led setup or the ML Plantbright its currently on sale @ bigalspets com

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
DIY is not my thing. And about 70-80 bucks is my limit for a light.
Well u could try a dual t-5 ho light. Some here like the inexpensive aquatraders odessea t-5 lamps. I use verticaly mounted cfls in a diy hood. I also use t5 NO shoplights for shallow tanks

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
You can use the Marineland Double Bright LED light, and get about 20 micromols of PAR, which is just about the lowest PAR that will work. This is with 3 inches of substrate and with the light sitting right on top of the tank. If you use DIY CO2 with that, you will be successful with low light plants.

If you use a Finnex RayII LED light you should get about 25-30 micromols of PAR, which will work much better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts