The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Crypt, Echinodorus is my go-to for low tech.
Buce, Anubias, Microsorum are the usual suspects for epiphytes. Bolbitis is also not bad.
For stems I'd go for L. sessiliflora, Pearlweed, B. caroliniana etc..

You can actually grow a lot of plants in low lighting. They would just be not as nice..leggier growth and less color.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Hello everyone, I’m just looking for some easy low tech background plants for a 20g aquascape.
Any easy stem plant will be good if you want something tall. If at all possible I'd buy from a local fish store in which case what you get will be largely determined by what they have in stock. Buying from a local fish store 1) supports local business which is good, 2) allows you to avoid the cost in shipping which saves you money, and 3) is easier on the plant because its not going to spend days (or even a week) in shipping which means you get a healthier plant.

The only time I buy online is if I have some very specific requirements for plants that my local stores simply don't carry.

·
Registered
584 Posts
FYI Limnophila sessifolia is a federally listed noxious weed and is illegal to sell and own in the entire US.

I have had good luck with Ludwegia repens, water sprite, tiger lotus (easily best red in low tech imo), and vallisneria in addition to some of the others mentioned.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Oh wow didn't know that
Thats interesting
Yeah, when I first entered the hobby I couldn't find it for sale anywhere (in the US), even though I saw it being used a lot (but not by Americans) and it took me a second to figure out why.

To make things more complicated, each state also has it's own noxious weed list, but I don't think online companies keep track of the state rules at all when they ship stuff out. They probably mind the rules of their own state, but they leave most of the enforcement to customers, which I'm sure doesn't work at all because most people don't even know what the list is. I don't think hobbyists are likely to get in trouble for it, but everyone everywhere should be careful about disposing of plants and keep them out of their local ecosystem.

·
Registered
20g aquarium with beginner plants and fish.
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How many background plants do you think I would need in a 20 high? I definitely want to do bacopa maybe a tiger lotus or ludgugia for a splash of red.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.