The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my tap water is super soft at 2dKH. I have been doing some preemptive research on what kind of fish/inverts I want to get once I get my tank stable and everything figured out.

Most places seem to be recommending higher KH values for fish. I found that Amano shrimp apparently are best in 8KH. I have also read that this super soft water puts me at risk for potentially deadly pH swings.

Yet all the searches I have done on the topic seem to advise against raising KH. I even found one on Barr report that said a 2KH was pretty ideal. I understand how to do it with baking soda.

Should I be worried about raising the KH for fauna?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
There is not any one perfect reading for GH, KH or pH. Fish, shrimp, snails and plants come from a wide range of natural waters with all sorts of mineral levels.

Make the GH (not KH) suit the fish.
Make the pH right by controlling the KH. In general fish that like low GH also prefer low pH, and this means low KH. Hard water (that is, high GH) critters usually prefer higher pH, and to make the pH higher, raise the KH.

I have quite a few tanks with no KH, and the pH is very stable. (very low, but that is stable).

Also, pH swings are not deadly. CO2 will make the pH change over a 24 hour cycle. Fish are fine with this.

Changing mineral levels can be deadly, though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.