The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering about this today as i was setting up my diy co2 for one of my low tech tanks. i know low/inconsistent co2 leads to algae in situations where co2 is more important like in med/high light tanks.

but what about for a tank where the lighting doesn't warrant pressurized co2?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I really don’t know the answer to this. I am working with this problem myself,
(20L, 48w T5) I think it is more important to keep the co2 steady and not have it going up and down. It dose seem to be helping.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Algae are a problem made much worse with high light. A low light tank will always have far less algae than a high light tank. CO2 helps plants grow well with any amount of light, but with a low light tank, it isn't essential, and it isn't nearly as important to keep what you have very consistent.

T5HO lights are much too bright for a 12 inch deep low light tank, unless the light is raised about a foot above the top of the tank.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
With low enough light there is no need for CO2 though it helps any tank. If the light is low enough it will be easy to supply "enough" CO2 using DIY since the light level will contribute very little to increasing the demand. I would still try to make sure your CO2 production is as steady as possible, stable conditions are key to any successful tank.

Agree with Hoppy. 48 watts of T5HO lighting over a 20 gallon tank is not a low light tank. I have 108 watts of T5HO running over a 50 gallon long and have had to hang the fixture 13" above the tank. That is still nothing near low light and I have to run pressurized CO2.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.