The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i just hooked my oase 600 and oase 850. and i have a co2 reactor for my oase 850. the flow is low. Like i dont see water movement at the top. even for the oase 600. buit however i see my plants flowing with the air. is that normal? like barely any flow at the top but inside the tank? theres tiny flow at the top. 72 gallons waterbox.

·
Registered
638 Posts
So i just hooked my oase 600 and oase 850. and i have a co2 reactor for my oase 850. the flow is low. Like i dont see water movement at the top. even for the oase 600. buit however i see my plants flowing with the air. is that normal? like barely any flow at the top but inside the tank? theres tiny flow at the top. 72 gallons waterbox.
I have a single Oase 600 with an inline diffusor and the same WB tank. Are you using lily pipes or the stock Oase hardware? If you have a surface skimmer you are probably getting good oxygenation even without major surface motion.

My lily pipe tends to push the flow down and across the floor of the tank. I have a surface skimmer on my filter inlet. A reactor will probably drop your flow some. My tank is healthy with good growth. If you really feel the need for both filters I would just adjust one to provide the surface ripple and let the other push the CO2 into the tank...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Between the two you’re likely turning over 700gph. Should be more than enough to keep the water clean. Do you have the outflow(s) high enough to get proper surface disturbance?

One thing that bothers me, watching various well known aquascapers on YouTube, is how little surface agitation their water has. Part of it may be their relatively low bioload; a dozen ember tetras and some RCS won’t require a massive amount of oxygen in the water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a single Oase 600 with an inline diffusor and the same WB tank. Are you using lily pipes or the stock Oase hardware? If you have a surface skimmer you are probably getting good oxygenation even without major surface motion.

My lily pipe tends to push the flow down and across the floor of the tank. I have a surface skimmer on my filter inlet. A reactor will probably drop your flow some. My tank is healthy with good growth. If you really feel the need for both filters I would just adjust one to provide the surface ripple and let the other push the CO2 into the tank...
Please check this video

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hard to tell without an actual flow measurement. Try setting a 5 gallon bucket at the same height (head) as the tank and see how long it takes to fill it.

The 850 is specified at 400gph or 6.66gpm.

If your 850 takes 1:30 to fill a 5g bucket, it’s doing 200gph. Less time, more gph.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Between the two you’re likely turning over 700gph. Should be more than enough to keep the water clean. Do you have the outflow(s) high enough to get proper surface disturbance?

One thing that bothers me, watching various well known aquascapers on YouTube, is how little surface agitation their water has. Part of it may be their relatively low bioload; a dozen ember tetras and some RCS won’t require a massive amount of oxygen in the water.

Check the video

·
Registered
74 Posts
Looks low to me, but I think that glass lily pipes massive restrict the inflow. That also looks like 1/2" glass, which won't do you any favors on flow.

Stupid question... But is the inflow blocked by anything? (that's sort of like the "is it plugged in" line of questioning, but it sometimes applies)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts